Brewing changes

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Dice

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:55 pm

I like the depth of thought that clearly went into brewing, but ultimately, using it is a frustrating experience. Because you have to wait several IRL days for the barley and hops to mature, you're often not able to brew on the spur of the moment when you want alcohol without much warning, and you're not able to train the skill without careful planning. Moreover, there's no way around this because you can't buy the malted items anywhere on-grid.

I recognize the nod to verisimilitude, but in this case it comes directly at the expense of enjoyable play, and it's also the kind of thing we've handwaved in every other craft. It's fine if some things have to mature after they're produced, such as wine, but not being able to even pool up without practice is a difficult system to be reconciled to.

Can we consider a change?

Dice

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:48 pm

Also, it's really hard to keep track of recipes when they require multiple amounts of different ingredients that require multiple steps.

Could we perhaps replace the 3-4x ingredients, like barley in beer, with single items at 3-4x the cost? I.e., 'an amount of barley' so you only ever need one. I am FAIRLY sure (?) nothing right now uses a single amount of barley.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:40 pm

Temi has reviewed the craft. We have flagged some things for updating to be consistent with new crafting simply because brewing was done first. However, staff has decided after inspecting the craft that waiting for alcohol ingredients to ferment is appropriate to the craft, so that won't change. We've also reviewed which of the raw ingredients are available in stores and believe they are mostly, if not all, available.

Inertia

Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:49 am

Would it be possible to let the wait be based on standard time passage versus time logged in? I haven't played too much with brewing so this could just be a bug and not a feature, but it seems to me that no grains I've set to malt have done so in a reasonable time frame. Possibly because they were in my inventory and not in a room while I was logged off.

As a comparison, plant objects seem to progress regularly towards producing harvestable items or requiring maintenance, regardless of how much time you're standing there staring at them. Not knowing the mathematics behind it all, it seems reasonable to me that grains left to malt could be made to work more like planting/harvesting, which might help make the delay more bearable.

Temi

Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:24 pm

Plants continue while you're offline because the plants are still online. If you leave grains to malt in your workshop or whatever while you log out, they should continue on without you as well. Timers ticking down on items that are offline would affect all items that have expirations. Might be possible, but I don't know if people would want that across the board?

Cellan

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:02 pm

I'd personally really like it if we could remove race restrictions from some recipes.

Rothgar

Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:27 pm

Cellan wrote:I'd personally really like it if we could remove race restrictions from some recipes.

That's a thing? How is that a thing?

"Sorry, but if you're Farin, you're physically unable to make hard liquor."

Ppfffhahaha.
Rothgar Astartes, Fyurii Rynnya, Nils 'Smith' Mattias, Edward Darson, Curos Arents.

Geras

Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:46 pm

"Sorry, I'm Hillish, so I have to add goat dung to all the beer I make."

• Information