Suggestion for Weapon Slots

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Argider

Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:33 pm

I'd like to make the following suggestion:

Problem:

Holding anything in your hand is impossible if you are wearing two weapons. It's aggravating and inconvenient that I can't hold a courier pigeon simply because I have a sword sheathed at my hip, or that I can't hold a crafting needle, or any other device that must be held in order to use, because I have a hammer hanging from my belt.

Sheathed weapons should not prevent me from holding things in my hands, though holding things in my hands should certainly prevent me from drawing my weapons.

Solution:

Give weapons their own separate inventory slots. Code it so that weapons cannot be drawn if one's hands are full (if objects are being held or already wielded in the hand slots). When someone draws a weapon, the code moves the weapon from being sheathed in the weapon slot to being wielded in the hand.

This would allow people to hold things in their hands without first needing to remove their sheathed/belted weapons.

Thanks kindly for reading!

EDIT: It looks like I can't even hold a pigeon if I remove my primary weapon and still have a weapon sheathed in the off-hand slot... so I really do have to remove BOTH weapons just to hold something in one hand.
Last edited by Argider on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lei
Discord Handle: Lei#3876

Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:57 pm

Would this sort of amendment to code make it so I can punch people without having to remove my mace? Because that would be awesome.
Old As Dirt

Cellan

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:44 pm

This sounds pretty reasonable. I second (third?) it!

Applesauce

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:20 pm

Great idea.

I also agree with being able to use Unarmed if your weapons are sheathed. Makes sense if you have a longsword and someone runs up too close, you should be able to put it away and start wailing on them. Or if you START battle in someone's face, then you can draw a longer weapon if they back up, instead of having to wield and remove things in order to switch.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:52 am

Sounds like a bug. Please bug board that you can't use your hands when wearing weapons, even when they're sheathed.

Re: Punching people when wielding a weapon - you can punch with the offhand, but punching with a mace in your hand strikes me as awkward. Maybe not a punch dagger, but the case seems minimal enough overall to not be worth programming for especially.

Beronica

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:02 am

I agree with Applesauce. We should be able to use unarmed combat if our weapon is sheathed. Don't know if it is possible codewise, but RP wise it makes sense.

Onyxsoulle

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:31 am

Lei, you can already do that, you just type Dual (target) (target area) (action), instead of attack.

But I do agree with Argider, sometimes it's very annoying that you have to remove a weapon in order to hold something in your hand.

Lei
Discord Handle: Lei#3876

Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Fantastic! I had no idea. Thank you!
Old As Dirt

Applesauce

Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:44 am

Kinaed wrote:Re: Punching people when wielding a weapon - you can punch with the offhand, but punching with a mace in your hand strikes me as awkward.
Not punching while wielding a drawn weapon, punching while wielding a sheathed weapon. Meaning you have to "remove" (not just sheathe) your weapon in order to use unarmed combat.

Argider

Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Right. Trying to use an unarmed attack with a weapon sheathed on that side (whether you attack or dual attack) will result in the code telling you to draw your weapon, forcing you to remove the sheathed weapon before you can perform the unarmed attack.

I'll go ahead and bug board the issue. Thanks, Kin!

• Information