Ahalin Tower Check-In - Evidence Bins?

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Inertia

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:25 pm

This started as a request for a strip search command but, although I still like the idea, I anticipated a long (if interesting!) discussion and decided to simplify my request.

Could we have a check-in command that 1) posts to the jail(/reeve/order/knight) channels that LAWMAN'S NAME HERE has brought CRIMINAL'S NAME HERE into the tower and 2) creates an evidence container with the criminal's name on it, in the fashion of a rename bag?

1) Characters should absolutely be logging prisoners well on the Ahalin board but for those times that it doesn't happen, it's helpful to have some quasi-IC record of who's in the tower and what guild brought them in, when it comes time to RP with an unexpected tower guest.

2) It's my feeling that characters in jail should be divested of their belongings through code. The less paperwork we have to do, the better in general, and it's easier to check an evidence locker for a criminal's belongings than it is to figure out who has seen whom, what was done when, and so on, if the players involved had to leave in a hurry or just forgot to update everything properly.

The tower already has a storage room for this, we should use it! That way we're not held up on waiting for Player A to log back in to give Criminal B his stuff back once he's being released to the public again.

I'd even encourage a small silver charge to create the item (hey, paper pushers need to eat, too!).

I see it working something like this:

> checkin Olivia

The Ahalin Tower clerk nods at Loreth. "You're checking in the prisoner Olivia for the Holy Order. What is the crime?"

> Adulation

The Ahalin Tower clerk nods again and hands Loreth a bin. "Remember to log the prisoner on the notice board and to lock their belongings in storage."

[Jail] Loreth has checked Olivia into Ahalin Tower for Adulation!
[Order] Loreth has checked Olivia into Ahalin Tower for Adulation!

> inventory

Loreth is carrying:
an evidence bin marked: Olivia

Geras

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:33 pm

My practice has always been to ICly confiscate things but leave them on the person code wise. I believe help Geras cells still says something to that affect. A code command to handle it would be nice though.

mattc

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:34 pm

I really like this proposal, and I think it could *probably* be implemented primarily through the mobscripting system. The only thing I don't know about for certain would be the guild channel echoes, but maybe one of the buildstaff can weigh in on this?

Applesauce

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:44 am

Geras wrote:My practice has always been to ICly confiscate things but leave them on the person code wise. I believe help Geras cells still says something to that affect. A code command to handle it would be nice though.
The problem with this is the unsearched prisoner looks 100% identical to the naked prisoner if they don't set an appropriate action or are not OOCly asked before a scene. So if you're processing a lot of prisoners, and they all have their gear codewise, you don't actually know if they can just stab you or are carrying magey letters or whatever.

Of course, since it's impossible to tell it's up to the player to remember to send a tell or osay and ask if the character has been searched or if they ICly have their stuff, but it just sucks for the same player be asked every scene by every person who comes to RP because no one can ever really know at the start of a new scene.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:09 am

We have a spec on the boards for how searching a player might work. As it is, however, I don't think we'll go this far. It's rare that so many people are arrested at once, and usually it's a one on one RP situation. In those instances, an emote and assumption that the search happened doesn't seem particularly onerous. It's a reasonable amount of code work for a moderate to small overall payoff, I think.

• Information