Mages' cant

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Dice

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Exactly like Thieves' cant, but for Manus instead.

Why?
1) It's even worse for mages if they get caught compared to the Thieves, and they could similarly use this kind of help to help react to dangerous situations in a sneaky way.
2) It would incentivize joining Manus, rather than being a solitary mage.

SlyViolin

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:43 pm

For those of us who don't know... what's a cant?

Takta

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:59 am

Thieves' cant is a skill thieves can use to talk to each other in rooms where others can't see it (it's basically sign language specific to a guild).

Leech

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:10 am

I've no idea if all mages can read minds, or only some, but perhaps this could be unique in that it'd be... psychic communication? Instead of hand signs? I dunno, I feel like mages deserve something unique, and thematic for their secret language, rather than a direct copyover of tcant.
Player of: Alexander ab Courtland

Bennie

Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:29 pm

Leech wrote:I've no idea if all mages can read minds, or only some, but perhaps this could be unique in that it'd be... psychic communication? Instead of hand signs? I dunno, I feel like mages deserve something unique, and thematic for their secret language, rather than a direct copyover of tcant.
My gosh, this would be awesome.

I agree that the mages need some sort of communication thing like the Thieves, given the badness of being caught in the Manus as well as encouraging mages from joining the Manus as opposed to going alone. Having it be psychic would just be all the cooler.

Geras

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:49 pm

There's a spell that kind of sort of makes this possible. Maybe its duration could be lengthened?

• Information