Some Minor but Impactful Tweaks to Combat Balance

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Geras

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:55 am

So in my view there are at least two issues with combat right now that could use a change. Both related to mv points.

1) If you run out of mvs you are 100% and totally screwed. Given how costly just walking around town is, this means bad timing (and not scarfing down a feast as you walk) can get you completely debilitated really easily. I also don't think it's very realistic.

So my suggested solution is this: let the defend command in combat give you back enough mv to do an attack. Effectively this would mean running out of mvs causes you to alternate between attacking and defending, so you lose half your combat effectiveness, rather than all. I think this is desirable so that bad mv management is a bit less punitive, and because frankly defend is underpowered as all hell right now.

2) Minor wounds to your feet are way too debilitating. Seriously, who becomes completely incapable of walking around town because of a superficial bruise on your leg? It leads to unrealistic situations where a bruise from a badger (through armour!) leads to someone having to carry you around town. It just feels silly and again is pretty punitive.

Thoughts?

mystry

Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:00 pm

I absolutely, 100%, wholeheartedly agree with the second point.

In fact, I think the impact on both feet and legs needs to be GREATLY reduced. I had a superficial - SUPERFICIAL - bruise on my character's legs the other day, and it still basically immobilized them.

I can understand if you have a major crippling injury on your feet and legs, but superficial / minor / even moderate wounds need to be greatly toned down.

Inertia

Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:22 pm

I can get behind both of these!

1) You can also crawl at 0 mv though I feel resorting to this is a bit immersion-breaking. I think this is a good example of where playing the game rubs awkwardly against telling the stories. Maybe some VERY MINOR mv regen per tick could be considered to represent a body's general recovery rate? And/or a threaded command where your character actually takes a breather to restore some mv, versus having a nap or a ten-course meal on the side of the street?

2) Wound salve, wound salve, wound salve! But I agree it would also be nice for wound severity to be better reflected in movement penalties - maybe minor levels just make you move slower through a room, or have a sliding percent chance of mv draining checked on every room you travel (e.g. when you fail the roll, you get the message about your injuries causing discomfort or whatever, but if you pass it, you only lose whatever mv you would have without injury).

Kuzco

Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:42 pm

Agreed with both points. Nothing is more annoying than having to sit down for half an hour in the sewers because a croc glancingly hit your steel-clad foot.

Deedee

Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:03 am

On point one, I think that could undermine certain substances that can be used in combat to regain mv.

On point two, how about making it so superficial wounds could be instantly cleared by people with medicine over 36, to encourage cooperation on risky activities?

• Information