inflict NPC followers

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Deedee

Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:38 pm

Currently, inflict can be used on yourself, or PCs who have been restrained.

There are times when inflicting NPCs is useful too. NPCs can't be restrained, so while you can order them to inflict themselves, you can't do it yourself.
For animal followers especially, it would be useful if you could inflict them. They can only be ordered to inflict themselves with the type of damage they deal. You can't have a horse wield a knife, for example, to give a slash wound.

Another possibility is to change inflict to act more like addcrit, where you can specify the damage type.

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:02 pm

Deedee wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:38 pm
Currently, inflict can be used on yourself, or PCs who have been restrained.

There are times when inflicting NPCs is useful too. NPCs can't be restrained, so while you can order them to inflict themselves, you can't do it yourself.
For animal followers especially, it would be useful if you could inflict them. They can only be ordered to inflict themselves with the type of damage they deal. You can't have a horse wield a knife, for example, to give a slash wound.

Another possibility is to change inflict to act more like addcrit, where you can specify the damage type.
I can see this as being highly abused.

Inflicting NPC followers constantly and then treating them to gain in medicine, etc, rather than getting lessons and/or treating real people. Treat pools brilliantly, but I don't think it should be used this way.

If it's an NPC, it also heals differently than a PC. Getting treatment isn't necessary, and they will heal over time, faster than PCs do, if I remember right.

If it's strictly for the purposes of RP, I don't see why it can't be... RP'd and not coded.

If it's for the purpose of medicine and showing how wounds show up, you can always create an ST to show how specific wounds show up, etc, though teach can't be used in an ST. I'm not sure treat can, I imagine it can. As can restore, if you're the leader of the ST.
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

Deedee

Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:42 pm

- Order inflict could already be abused, and is covered by help policy skillspamming. I have a feeling uses of inflict are already logged to staff.

- followers can take a long time to heal, even when treated. I've seen one take an OOC week for a serious wound that was treated.

- I suppose the ST system could be used for lessons. You can't teach or treat while running one, but the loaded NPCs stick around when paused. addcrit won't work on NPCs not loaded by the story, however. A little inconvenient for on-the-fly situations, but good suggestion!

• Information