Combat: Multiple Turns Per Round

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:01 am

Add multiple turns per round based upon a character's skills and/or statistics (suggested by Kaerrick).

Estelle

Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:54 am

I liked the idea at first, but the more I thought about it, the more it seems like a balancing issue.

Basically, there is no such thing as 1.3 turns. And being able to take 2 turns per round is a HUGE advantage - it pretty much doubles your damage output.

So if I were to minimax (I try not to when playing RP games, but I think it's a somewhat inbuilt instinct of the avid gamer >.>) what I would do would be to find the cut-off point of the skills/stats needed to get the maximum reachable number of turns (say 3) and be sure I get my skills/stats right on the dot for it, to get the most bang for my buck.

In that way, I would have an almost unbeatable advantage over the people who spent just 3k xp less for one less rank and are taking one turn less than me. It would segment people off into 'categories', where anyone in a lower 'category' would have pretty much no chance of beating someone in the higher one. Instead of combat being a smooth curve where each point increases your win % by just a small amount.

I'm not sure how to offset this problem tbh.

Jei

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:51 pm

I don't like this.

1) It makes the people with high stats/skills even more powerful than they already are.

2) If a technique or skill was added that granted multiple attacks per round it would immediately be taken, learn mastered, and maxed by anyone with the free slot and desire to play a combat character.

3) That's all.

• Information