Free restrings on low-silver items

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

-+[-__-]+-

Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:18 am

May we have free restring capability on items that are code-set as 5 silver or less?

This would cover most items that are harvested and foraged as well as a number of common simple items purchased from NPC vendors, and would allow for fun customization without PCs having to take a loss on selling.

Thank you for considering!

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:40 am

Hmm, I might have to put my thoughts against this one. I understand the motivation, but ... arguably, what would you restring foraged things into? (IE, an example of what this would be used for?) As restringing them might mean people can no longer tell they are the proper item for crafts, if that's what the are buying them for.

Also, I have the slight worry you might have a lot of just buying and restrings on items versus folks making things themselves like the TI equivalent of Chinese resellers.

-+[-__-]+-

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:59 pm

I understand the concerns! For the questions raised: There's already rules against (re)stringing things into things they aren't, and NPC shops that sell the same object templates with different strings.

An example of a restring:

a large brown potato
into
a large brown potato, beautifully restrung to 59 characters

Just fun customization like I said; it gives PCs the chance to play with things they're essentially getting for free already (via harvesting/foraging), and/or are available for 1s in NPC shops already so for a PC to compete they'd have to have bulk prices anyway.

In the end I won't weep if this is too complex to set up, or there are too many exceptions. As I'm writing this, I just can't think of anything game-breaking that's available through these systems that would entice twinking. If I can't play a farmer selling his bushel of beautiful potatoes, that's alright. I will still have the option of paying 1-5 silver for RP around the Biggest Gourd or the Carrot that Looks Just Like Dav.

The_Last_Good_Dragon

Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:33 am

I think I'd like this if it were for items a player HARVESTED, but not for items a player FORAGED for, as foraging suggests a sort of "well you get what you got" sort of thing that deserves to be a bit ugly. If there weren't a way to separate these, then I don't think I'd like it.

I think that items in NPC shops aren't meant to be cheaper than a PC could use .. if PCs can't compete with NPC shops, shouldn't that be fixed? I'd always heard NPC shop pricing was meant to be a last-ditch alternative to PC shops, not a cheaper, easier option?
~~ Team Farra'n'Stuff. ~~

• Information