Hospital Chat

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Taunya

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:04 am

This is an idea I've been mulling over for some time, but never wrote down. Inspired by the 'jail' channel where prisoners can communicate with their reeve/orderite captors to arrange RP, it'd be great if there was such a thing for patients and doctors too, as the severely injured can be stuck bedridden for up to several OOC days.

We currently have a mobprog in the triage which will alert on the Physicians channel that someone needs attention when they say 'medic', but there's nothing in the recovery rooms.

Enter the 'hosp' channel. Physicians can speak on it from anywhere, and will be marked as "[Physican] Name:", and anyone else in a hospital room (Not just the Madison, but any clinic- I've always been saddened how rarely we get to RP out treatment at other places) will say show "[Patient] (Room) Name:"

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:32 am

In general, a way for Priests and Bards or even Reeves (depending on how sick you want to RP you are - is it Last Will and Testament time) there's a variety of reasons folks might want to know that someone is in the Hospital and looking for RP. Like the conversation about Bards and Physicians visiting people in jail, the more opportunities to help people out in what can be lower RP scenarios lowers the stress on everyone potentially involved.

(As the former PM, I highly support this, as it might help alleviate the stress of the idea/accusation/feeling that Physicians have to be/are meant to be someone's sole source of RP when they are hurt/sick. That can be kind of stressful.)

Popcorn

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:09 am

I understand the feeling behind this, but I don't think this needs a special channel. People who are in jail can't make any IC communication with the outside world to get their RP. Furthermore, there's a policy-level obligation for their captors to provide RP.

Someone who is in hospital can communicate with the outside world just fine. If they want to send for a priest, they can. If they want to send for a Reeve to set their affairs in order, they can. If they want to invite a friend over to visit them, they can.

Taunya

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:48 am

That's a fair point.

I'm still leaning towards a channel being good though- as it stands the 'medic' call is one-sided, and when no one responds I feel like it could make them believe they're being ignored. The medic call, or the unconscious drop call, only provides the intro, not the name, so it isn't always possible to send a tell to let them know we want to help but can't at the moment.

I don't think the proposed channel needs to be open to more than Physicians and patients though, as like you say, there's no restrictions on messengers and the like in the hospital.

• Information