City Lore Updates Feedback

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Helena

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:56 am

Concerning the player help files, I always wondered why it had such an ooc name. I find much more natural to type "whois character", to read what is known about that character and something like "player character", to get an OOC information about the player behind said character. At least, "help character character_name" would make more sense in my eyes.

As for lores, when I first came in, I read a lot of lores referring to past characters long forgotten, and found them barely interesting, if not confusing when referred to the actual state of the game. I'd be in favour that lores related to a character get related to an helpfile displaying some historical context, or decay with time depending on the importance of the character. For example:
- PC guildleader and nobles: 6 month after inactivity.
- Everybody else: 1 month after inactivity.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:02 am

As for lores, when I first came in, I read a lot of lores referring to past characters long forgotten, and found them barely interesting, if not confusing when referred to the actual state of the game. I'd be in favour that lores related to a character get related to an helpfile displaying some historical context, or decay with time depending on the importance of the character. For example:
While you might not find these things interesting, there are some folks (like myself I admit) that really do. I feel like if anything the fact that we lose lore and the past so easily is a trouble for us. I think encouraging these things to decay faster would be a determent to us having the kind of perpetual history that makes our game sphere feel alive and rich.

I don't think it should be based on how long since that character lived OOCly, but how important they were ICly, based on either position or play time. (IE Milestone level) but your character ICly doesn't stop being famous/infamous because OOCly you haven't been playing them.

That said I'd love to ask - what presently determines if/when someone's player helpfile lingers and when it disappears? Also, allowing folks to "reuse" names of previous characters means that other people's player helpfiles get over-written, which, seems kind of a shame. So could there be a better way to handle that?

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:12 am

Starstarfish wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:02 am
While you might not find these things interesting, there are some folks (like myself I admit) that really do. I feel like if anything the fact that we lose lore and the past so easily is a trouble for us. I think encouraging these things to decay faster would be a determent to us having the kind of perpetual history that makes our game sphere feel alive and rich.

I don't think it should be based on how long since that character lived OOCly, but how important they were ICly, based on either position or play time. (IE Milestone level) but your character ICly doesn't stop being famous/infamous because OOCly you haven't been playing them.

That said I'd love to ask - what presently determines if/when someone's player helpfile lingers and when it disappears? Also, allowing folks to "reuse" names of previous characters means that other people's player helpfiles get over-written, which, seems kind of a shame. So could there be a better way to handle that?
I'm fairly certain Help player files disappear upon death, so in theory if a person is just inactive it should remain... However it should be noted that players who want their characters to last beyond their lifetime can do so in other ways, for example the milestone bit, there is a hefty list of helpfiles for characters who existed quite sometime ago, villians and heroes alike. There is also the possibility for paintings and sculptures to outlive your character.
Lurks the Forums

Starstarfish
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:12 pm

I'm fairly certain Help player files disappear upon death, so in theory if a person is just inactive it should remain
I'd always thought so as well, but looking recently at/for some folks shows some that are still going strong from like PKs that happened years ago, so ... this makes me wonder if that is an automatic thing with deaths being processed or has to be manually done.

The_Last_Good_Dragon

Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:39 am

I'm fairly certain Help player files disappear upon death, so in theory if a person is just inactive it should remain
Help Player files do not disappear upon death; they might if a very specific command is used (finish, maybe?) but I know alts of mine that have been processed through death (not through outright PK) or liquidated, and character Farra has used 'execute' on at pyrings, all retain their help players.
~~ Team Farra'n'Stuff. ~~

Helena

Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:47 am

> While you might not find these things interesting, there are some folks (like myself I admit) that really do.

I agree. Even I might have another opinion now that I might be able to rely the lore with characters or events I heared about ;)

Niamh
Discord Handle: Niamh#3824

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:01 am

Added to talking points.

• Information