Reintroducing Guild Notes

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

chronodbu

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:36 pm

Okay so, those of us who were playing during the time of these already know what they are. The command was much like cnotes except available to the guild as a whole. Sort of like an interactive messageboard within the game that each guild used to keep information on that would be disseminated throughout the guild such as policies, case files, etc.

Unfortunately, with their removal, I've noticed an increasing lack of coherency with guilds ingame. Let's face it, mail is great and it's awesome to use as is generally keeping ledgers and such but it can be rather time consuming to keep on top of it all and generally it leads to a lot of confusion communications-wise. As an Orderite I hear regularly about communications issues between the Knights and Inquisitors for example. While I'm sure this could be improved upon between the players in question, I feel an easier solution to mediate this could be had.

The idea is this:

Reintroduce the Gnotes system BUT add an additional requirement to it. Set it so it requires you to go to a room specifically flagged for it to be able to make, edit, or read the notes. This would both require players to congregate there to get information or check in which could very well spark RP for the general filing of information and passing it along PLUS it would give us a direct in character tie to the system that explains how it's being used.

This also makes it so the gnotes can be restricted to certain levels or key figures in a guild if say the guild decides to keep it behind a locked door.

I feel this could greatly assist with guilds like the Merchants where general info could be passed along about resources that don't really need an entire book on them, Reeves with their case files, Orderites with a filing system of warrants that don't require a ton of maintenance to keep up, or even Troubadours with handling of events.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:36 am

If you are going to restrict it's use to a room... why not just use that room to store files/records/warrants? I also played during a time where we didn't have gnotes/they hadn't been tested yet, and it wasn't difficult. Sure there may have been some communication errors, but oftentimes those communication errors resulted in rp, both humorous and conflict rp.

No filing system is perfect, even today in modern times, and the lack of gnotes reflects this perfectly.
Lurks the Forums

Andruid

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:28 am

I don't know whether staff considered adding a location restriction before removing gnotes in the first place, but if location is going to be restricted, you may as well just build yourself a couple of no-take boards and use those, instead. That way, everything stays IC and can be manipulated IC.

Rabek

Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:17 pm

Please no. Gnotes remove avenues for RP, they don't add them.

Use in-game note boards as the others said. Most guilds (Order included) have one, they're just criminally underused.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Mon May 29, 2017 7:20 pm

Gnotes were too perfect, that's why we removed them. Spotty information based on how qualified and skilled the people are at communicating is more correct. Being forced to work off rumor and innuendo? Perfect.

The gnote system was more like having a case tracking, computerized customer service system. It just wasn't right for our theme.

Please do use your IC guild boards, which are already location restricted, etc.

• Information