Flowers as Compost?

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:28 am

First post, so sorry if this isn't the right spot for this! Also as a relatively newer player, I apologize if this has been brought up before.

Is there any possibility of having a new craft added or editing the existing compost craft to allow some of the picked flowers or flower-based items to be used to make compost?

Reasoning for the idea:

- Flowers I would imagine are as useful as leaves for compost IRL - http://www.compostthis.co.uk/flowers

- Flowers seem to be something often found in abundance and donated around town (IE - junked by folks and placed in the Almhouse) but as you need higher skills and/or a specific grouping of them to produce things like the bouquet of flowers they seem to not be as useful as perhaps they could be for newer players wishing to grow or utilize their Herbalism skill.

- It could help clear up spam if the flowers aren't set to rot/decay

- Allowing flowers to be used as compost would allow the Herbalism skill to be more self-sustaining

- It might alleviate some of the concerns here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=918 - About Herbalism having enough useful crafts/uses

- There are rooms that you can gather flowers from that you cannot always gather leaves from

- Not all rooms you can gather leaves from are necessarily safe for newer Gentry players to visit

Thank you for your consideration of the idea!

Starstarfish
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:36 pm

Just as an added thought here if this idea is accepted:

There are two current concoct recipe (28) and (1312):

Perhaps one recipe could be used for fallen leaves/flowers other like ... vegetable stuff.

And the could use the food scraps, and the various pomaces currently spread across the two recipes?

Just an additional thought? :)

Temi

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:04 pm

I don't think it would be appropriate to add flowers to compost. There are too many variations of flowers, so technically speaking it wouldn't be feasible. Beyond that, I don't think that this would be a primary use of flowers thematically. I'm afraid we're limited by 3 options per any single item, so that reduces options some. I don't know that I quite follow your new idea.

• Information