Cityguard Barracks system

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Amdair

Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:28 pm

I finally had time to sit down and think more thoroughly than 'argh, stuff bothers me!' and came up with an idea for something I'd like to see implemented for the city's guard. The Reeves aren't supposed to be an elite combat force like the Knights, nor the ability to evaporate into the night like the Thieves they hunt. Their strength is the strength of the city, and of the many men and women who don the cloak.

As such, I wondered if maybe a 'barracks system' might be possible. Basically, the idea is that there would be certain points (perhaps points likely to contain either a barracks or large number of nearby guards,) where guild members would be able to draw from a pool of active guard members.

Syntax:
barracks
barracks withdraw <number> <rank>
barracks return <number> <rank>
barracks extend

Using 'barracks' by itself would print out a report about how many active guard members are available, what ranks they possess (since there would be fewer officers, and slower to replace if killed,) and how many you're able to draw (perhaps tied to guild rank? Higher up, more leadership power.)

barracks withdraw <number> <rank> would withdraw x number y-ranked guards from the pool, to follow you around. E.g., barracks withdraw 4 clerk; barracks withdraw 1 sergeant

barracks return does the exact opposite.

finally, barracks extend renews guards' timers, if possible- this shouldn't be infinitely possible, but being able to do so once or twice makes sense, if pressed or something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-These guards will not initiate combat, even under orders, against someone without a warrant on their head.
-These guards will, however, attack someone engaged in combat with the person leading them (which means they will subdue someone who refuses a restraint order by their accompanying PC)
-These guards remain for a limited time before returning to the pool.

In line with the 'remaining for a limited time', these guards should be post-able in any location they can be left behind at while following their PC, but like any guard post, they will eventually leave duty and must either be replaced or given orders to stay, by a reeve- this means we could post guards around intersections, in public places, etc.

If attacked, witnessing a crime or sighting a warranted individual, they would send a report to the reeves guild about details (whichever details make sense to code into this,) and in the first and third case, would also move to subdue the individual.

Finally, they would attempt to end fights in their presence by subduing one or both members, with favoritism showed Crown officials.

.... I think I covered it all. Did I miss anything, or are there any questions I could answer? I'd love to discuss this idea some, to hopefully one day see it implemented in some fashion.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:34 pm

It looks to me like it might contain some nice tidbits that would fit into the Reeve "mook" idea. I'm not bothered by the barracks idea either since nobles already use a form of hail command, which this seems as very similar to me.

Enix

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:15 am

I like it!

Estelle

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:43 am

I think it's a great idea, but I also think offering something like this to one guild, especially something so huge, would necessitate offering something similar to opposing guilds, otherwise imbalance would occur. Unless there is significant cost associated with these things.

Amdair

Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:51 am

In my opinion, there is already a lot of things offered to the opposing guild:

-their guild hall is a secret location.
-their members are not publically known.
-it costs Reeves QP to perform any but "I can see blood everywhere" levels of investigation for crimes that typically cost no such QP to commit.
-We have no method of tracking our foes, and we are, as dictated by the balance of order/chaos, the chasers in nearly all situations.
-they have a secret language guildskill, for what it is worth.
-it is difficult, if not impossible, to detect high levels of 'steal' and 'hide', and there is no comparable skill for us to invest in for vigilance.
-they have the ability to spend QP to completely change their identity, instantly destroying our investigative measures on them (as we have no DNA, scientific experiments or technology.)
-They have the ability to strike on their own terms, while we are forced into reactionary measures.

These reasons, and more, are why I feel a modest but effective barracks system might deliver the Reeves the one advantage I believe they possess, over other guilds.

Estelle

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:00 pm

Eh.

- The Reeves can issue warrants, which, at the highest level, basically prevent you from doing anything except lying in hiding and sending messengers and talking to people you trust

- The Reeves have $$ issued to them from the Crown and ingame systems each week to buy equipment, weapons, and other assorted things

- The Reeves have the ability to D&Q for free, requiring no familiarity or xp

As I said, I think the idea is good at a significant price, but not for free.

Edit: I also think that many of your disadvantages listed will be countered with track (and rightly so) once it is in the game.

Amdair

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:33 am

Counterpoints:

-Somehow, all the criminals we've warranted have managed to get around this problem.

-This money does little, since our armor doesn't help much when we're ganked.

-Our D & Q's must be public, and are under just as much other scrutiny as an assassin's target. Our executions are just more easily stopped.

As far as track goes, I disagree. Some of them will be, but looking at the implementation thread for it, it looks like most problems will not be, and to use it with any success, in the Reeve's line of work, it'll need to be extremely high.

Estelle

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:44 am

Just responding to your points; again, I like the idea, I just think it should be implemented cautiously.

1. No, really, we haven't. Warrants restrict RP like you wouldn't believe, unless you have a lot of friends to sit around your guildhall with you or you want to be really inethical and just rampage the city kwith no concern for VNPCs.

2. Armor helps a lot from my experience.

3. I think it would be really poor form of anyone to just attack during an execution in such a highly populated and guarded area, but that's just me, of course. May not prevent people from doing it. If this continues to be seen as acceptable, I understand how this would be a concern.

I do think track should work on city streets.

• Information