Tax info and metagaming concerns

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Andruid

Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:09 am

It's my understanding that tax information, including amounts, is available to Reeves with the levy command.

I want to point out that because of the predictable relationship between tax rates and number of "rooms" in a phome, Reeves could use that information to doggedly search for hidden exits and portals that they might not otherwise think to look for if the amount wasn't obvious. It would be pretty easy to say, "Hey, this person owes the exact amount of silver for a ten-room home, but I only see five here. Let's all keep looking until we find alllll the rooms." This seems a little bit meta-gamey to me, because of the standardized nature of the system and how "rooms" can represent very different spaces. The weekly searching limit might hamper things a bit, or might just encourage more dogged searching.

I'm wondering if other people feel the same way, or if there's a good case for making the tax/room number connection a legitimate IC course of action for the Reeves?

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:14 am

I don't think that is the case. The levy command, as far as I know, is only for levying charges against people, and checking who has levies against them. While they can check if a person pays taxes for a home and the general location of said home, I do not believe they are aware of the exact amount.

On top of this, a scenario like you describe, to my knowledge, has never happened in the many years this system has existed.
Lurks the Forums

Andruid

Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:49 pm

I was under the impression that property taxes ARE levies, or appear under the levy system. I also had a chat with a staff member some weeks ago that suggested that the tax amounts are readily available to Reeves, though they might have meant through RPA?

Azarial
Discord Handle: azarial#7207

Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:46 pm

taxes include far more than hidden exits and extra rooms. there are enough other fees and flags players would not be able to notice to drive the price up enough to look like several hidden rooms.

Gerolf

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:34 am

Plus, no offense, but the Reeves are the Agents of the Crown, crown collects the taxes. If we didn't have accurate records, that is tax evasion.

Plus I don't know if you have ever seen the Levy output but it is rather complex. Regarding homes it is most useful to just find out that a home exists. It gives us no information about where, the material, number of rooms, etc

Andruid

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:35 pm

So what I'm reading is that the amounts ARE available to Reeves, but people don't think Reeves will metagame the information. All right, then. ^_^

Voxumo

Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:03 pm

Andruid wrote:So what I'm reading is that the amounts ARE available to Reeves, but people don't think Reeves will metagame the information. All right, then. ^_^
Well it's never been an issue before, and it doesn't seem like it's an issue now.
Lurks the Forums

Geras

Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:11 pm

I don't think hidden rooms should be taxed at all unless the owner chooses to have them taxed. It makes no sense for the Reeves to know this info.

Andruid

Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:15 pm

Voxumo wrote:
Andruid wrote:So what I'm reading is that the amounts ARE available to Reeves, but people don't think Reeves will metagame the information. All right, then. ^_^
Well it's never been an issue before, and it doesn't seem like it's an issue now.
With all due respect: how would you know whether or not another player was consciously or unconsciously driven to keep searching a phome based on tax information, and how can you be sure someone won't in the future? Metagaming isn't always obvious. The fact is, it can be really easy to do without even realizing you're doing it. And I'm pretty sure that anyone on the receiving end of such a search might feel a little less ambivalent about it.

Voxumo

Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:23 pm

Andruid wrote:
Voxumo wrote:
With all due respect: how would you know whether or not another player was consciously or unconsciously driven to keep searching a phome based on tax information, and how can you be sure someone won't in the future? Metagaming isn't always obvious. The fact is, it can be really easy to do without even realizing you're doing it. And I'm pretty sure that anyone on the receiving end of such a search might feel a little less ambivalent about it.
I'm basing this on the fact A) No one has, until you, brought this up as a concern, B) I trust the players to do the right thing and C) As Azarial said, there are alot of things that can raise the price of a home, not just hidden rooms and whatnot. On top of that searching a home isn't guaranteed success. Unlike in the past, you can't spam search until you find what you are looking for. You can only search a room once in a week, and if I remember correctly if your character didn't anything in that search then icly there wouldn't be any reason for them to continue searching, unless something came up to prompt it.

If action was taken against anything that "Could" happen, this game would be alot stricter.
Lurks the Forums

• Information