Roll/contest modifiers and complicators.

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

The_Last_Good_Dragon

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:27 am

This was an idea discusssed on OOC and seemed to receive massive player approval, but expanding on the capabilities of rolls and contests would be awesome. Specifically, the ability to add a numerical modifer to a check and combine two different stats or skills in those checks would make people very, very happy in so many different ways!

Code: Select all

roll <self|name> stat/sill [optional stat/skill] [optional modifer]
 Example: roll self dexterity dodge 15
 Example: roll self acting charisma 15
~~ Team Farra'n'Stuff. ~~

Gerolf

Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:56 pm

Adding the optional stat or skill confuses me, and there would need to be some agreement around the modifier because otherwise I am super man and all my str checks happen at plus 50.

Because I am awesome.

Temi

Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:07 pm

When we discussed this before, I thought a more user-friendly easy or hard modifier might be easier to work with than knowing what numeric modifier to put yourself. Maybe +20 for easy and -20 for hard.

Applesauce

Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:54 pm

I like the idea, generally speaking.

The room output should definitely mention the modifier, otherwise like Gerolf said some people would just always roll easymode and nobody would know the difference.

Example:
> emote tries to convince you they're innocent.
> roll self acting charisma easy
Applesauce handily succeeds a roll against Acting and Charisma! (modifier -20)

(Temi I know you said +20 easy but I think since you have to usually roll under the stat or skill value then -20 made more sense in the example)

Anyway, just something so the others in the room know if it was a "fair" roll.

Edit: vvv Gotcha, I'm used to other systems where modifiers modify the ROLL, not the TARGET. So +20 if you roll 40 would mean you rolled a 60 which would be worse. But yeah, if it modifies the thing you're rolling against then +20 easy. Anyway, good call just putting easy/hard in the message!
Last edited by Applesauce on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Temi

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:50 am

Yes, +20 easy, because you have to roll under it. So 60 in a stat - it's easier to roll under 80 than it is to roll under 40. And I'd just put the easy/hard in the messaging:

Applesauce handily succeeds an easy roll against Acting and Charisma!

• Information