Small XP gain for loitering alone in public places

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

BattleJenkins

Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:10 am

It'd be neat if you could get just a little bit of XP from hanging out somewhere reasonably public with WhereRP on, even if you're by yourself! Places like the Queen's Inn, or Three Cups, or other common gathering places where just about anybody could show up - a lot of the time, things can feel a little barren even with lots of people on because they're just hanging out somewhere private even if they're open to RP (I'm certainly guilty of this!) - it'd be nice to have a little extra incentive for people to make themselves available on grid, even if nobody bites right away.

Rabek

Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:30 pm

At first, I was wary at the idea of 'XP' + 'loitering alone', but I do think the benefits outweigh my initial misgivings.

Another

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:14 pm

It would have to be very, very minor. Any roleplay at all would have be at least twice as lucrative xp-wise.

Silrie

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:01 pm

I'll admit, I like the idea, but what's to stop a person from simply loitering there all day, even if people are on grid, merely for the xp without actually wanting to rp? Agreed that if it's implemented at all, it'll have to be extremely minor.

Dice

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:23 pm

I had the same wariness, but after thought, I actually agree, so long as it's much lower than standard RPXP gain - I like incentivizing behavior we want to see more of. Something like 1 RPXP per RP tick? I think typical RPXP is usually 2 at the very lowest, though admittedly I'm not sure of exact numbers

BattleJenkins

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:51 pm

I was thinking it would be the same as whatever 'Low' is, but even lower than that is better than nothing!

I'd imagine to disincentivize idling, you wouldn't get it if you don't have WhereRP on, and similarly wouldn't get it if you're AFK or IAW (you can't gain XP while AFK or IAW anyway). Since the gain is pretty low, I think the potential for abuse is fairly minor as well (people who want to game the system and gain XP without working for it have much easier and more lucrative ways to do so, after all!)

Gerolf

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:46 am

I, too, was wary but as long as it is restricted to maybe five to ten places (Bear & Boar, Three Cups, Crossroads, Church Square, and Queen's Inn are the five big ones that come to mind, though I think it may be nice to add it to Common Cells) and keep it as a low tick development.

I also think it shouldn't act as a bonus (We already get a public room bonus).

Also, yay for Behavioral Economics!

Jules

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:02 pm

I play a bartender, so I know what it's like to loiter around a tavern waiting/hoping for company. A little XP wouldn't be unwelcome, just so long as the usual rules apply for AFK and IAW status, to prevent abuse.
-- player of Jules and others

BlackSoul566

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:25 pm

Carefully balancing, sure... But still... I could see this being profitable for an increase to rp.

Zeita

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 pm

I like the idea a lot. However, my one caveat would be to limit to one alt earning it at a tim, or the system has the potential to be gamed with an army of alts.

1 XP per tick (45 secs) would probably be reasonable, IMO? I think low is something like 1-2 per tick, from what I recall.

• Information