Champion publicity

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Pixie

Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:23 pm

A command like "champion list" that displays all of the champions of various skills in the game would be awesome, on the IC premise that the best of the best would have a reputation for it and be known. Maybe accuracy or ability to see the list could be based on City Lore?

Could be an option to opt out of it for individuals who are champions of a skill but don't want it public.

Inertia

Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:43 am

I think this was brought up before, actually! And taxing my poor memory further, I think it was ultimately vetoed due to a number of people not wanting their champion status to be known.

I'm not sure, though, if a toggle was ever considered, so you could decide for yourself one way or the other. Like, I could see not wanting your name attached to being Witchy McMagerton, Champion of <insert mage skill here>, but there are certainly plenty of other skills I'd be proud to flaunt. Awww yeah, Champion Swimmer, yo.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:05 pm

While I would be highly in favor of this, and I like the idea of a toggle of sorts, though I would think certain skills just shouldn't show up on said list, regardless of toggle. My main examples of this, the Entire Covert section of skills, except maybe Appraise, and the entire magic section of skills, for obvious reasons. *Has got to admit, being known as Champion Hider would be pretty snazzy* "I dare you to challenge me to a game of hide and seek! I dare you!"
Lurks the Forums

Dice

Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:39 pm

I am admittedly against the whole champion system, but publicizing them worsens it to me - especially because there is no actual difference whatsoever in the ability of all the people with 75 ranks who aren't champions vs. the ones who are! I.e., if Joe has rank 100 Tailoring, and Jim has 75, both are actually equally good in every way that matters - so to have Joe famous for being the best feels awkward and nonsensical to me...

Cellan

Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:33 am

The champion title was always intended purely for OOC bragging rights; it isn't meant to reflect actually being "the best" IC (especially given that, in this world, one cannot know that they're "the best" at any given skill; there is no means by which to determine it).

I'm very against publicizing it, but -especially- in the case of covert skills (especially mage skills). This is a big "no" for me, unfortunately.

• Information