Dance Skill

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kaemgen

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:35 pm

Amdair pretty much put it better than I ever could. I agree with him wholeheartedly. It's a skill nobles are supposed to know, but wouldn't really worth the xp cost because we use it once a RL month or so, whenever someone throws a party that involves dancing. Also, whatever happened to footwork being used as an indicator of one's dancing ability? At least that skill is useful beyond courtly RP.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:57 pm

Bards aren't happy that the only way they can get their 'dance/footwork' skill up is to fight, which has all sorts of implications. And whomever said footwork was dance was kinda fudging it. You don't dance to get better at combat or vice versa.

This said, in reading all of the response - the truth is I'm not particularly swayed, but I don't want to have a back and forth, 30 million post argument about it either.

Zeita

Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:06 am

Firstly, speaking as a bard (Herazade) that is primarily a dancer, I do find the current setup using footwork somewhat frustrating. I can't currently pool it without breaking concept utterly, so will be pleased above all to have a way of building the skill up. Still, moot point, as nobody is arguing against a dance skill in general, merely the extent and application of it.

I wouldn't be keen to see 'skillless dancing', as it would basically invalidate my building up the skill as well as my place/prestige as a professional dancer. I should be able to demonstrate the time I've ICly spent in developing that skill, whether dancing in a performance or socially.

Secondly, as noble GL, I'd say that adept rank (or lower) would be an absolutely reasonable level for the majority of courtly nobles to have. I'd even dispute it as a necessity for nobles to be able to dance at all, unless they're a focused courtier, with plenty of room for uncultured nobles. We are a medieval setting, afterall, and not renaissance, although I do acknowledge that we take bits and pieces from all manner of different cultures at various time periods. In any case, Adept suggests that one is quite talented as it is, and that only a professional dancer or someone particularly focused on it would be likely to go higher imo. Further, I imagine that there could be quite a few nobles without any combat skills, or at least that it would be an utterly reasonable character concept.

One question for imm-land, would there be any possibility for people that have established themselves as dancers (courtly-types, pro dancers, whatever) to have the skill assigned when it comes in, if they wanted it?

To summarise: Yay dancing skill, happy to pay the xp with Charmaine to go adept.

Estelle

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:00 am

Perhaps we could all just ICly agree that the average noble who would be reasonably skilled at ballroom dancing should just be rank 20-25 at it (since he IS 'adept', despite the playerbase in general looking down on rank 25 simply because the max is 100).

So learn mastering it would only really be done by Bards specializing in it.

... Yeah, Charm put it in a better way already, I just noticed. >.>

registerednuisance

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:54 pm

I wouldn't consider line dancing, basic ballroom dancing or like, square dancing, a skill. It's something people can pick up socially. Professional ballroom dancing is hard and badass. I knew one of those IRL. But just everyday dancing, I don't think needs a skill.

Bard dancing, like herazade's sword dance, or irish stepdancing ,etc. could validate the skill.

• Information