Clothing and Appearance

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

chronodbu

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:41 am

So an idea struck me while reading another thread but I didn't feel it really fit there or that it might derail the topic.

What if the "appearance" Stat was derived purely from use of perfumes/colognes, regular bathing, certain materials used in the clothing you wear, and a fraction of charisma? The concept would tie in how the Nobility and Gentry would appear more palatable purely by the nature of their lifestyles.

Charisma of course would need to be made more potent in other ways to stay useful if it isn't already.

Just a thought which I recognize could take a good bit of work to accomplish but some framework is already there from perfumes/colognes etc.

BattleJenkins

Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:47 pm

I don't think the system we have now is broken or unworkable, but if it were up to me to redesign it, I'd probably do something like:
  • All characters start base app 2 (Average)
  • +1 for very high charisma (75-80 or more? More than 85?)
  • +1 for any cosmetics (perfume, powders, etc.)
  • +1 for an outfit consisting of primarily silk or velvet
  • Option to purchase +1 app for a naturally beautiful character
  • -1 for very low charisma (below 40?)
  • -1 if the character is dirty
  • -1 if the character has any disfiguring scars, wounds, or brands
  • Set app to 1 if covered in blood and gore
  • Option to purchase -1 app for a naturally homely character
This wold make appearance something that would be less reliant on a character's 'inherent beauty' and require a bit more maintenance, as well as promote a slight gap in appearance between classes. It would also make achieving base app 5 impossible, giving even the most naturally beautiful characters incentive to pursue cosmetics and fancy clothes.

EDIT: To be honest, I would probably also expand it to a finer 10-point scale instead of a 5-point, to allow for more subtle changes - I.E. using cosmetics versus using fancy, expensive cosmetics

chronodbu

Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:29 pm

I think the idea of charisma levels should still play into effect just with a smaller max given by them. Like, actual charisma scores would give a lower number but the addition of all the trappings of society would add to it.

By doing so you still have the naturally beautiful but there's only so much you can do with beauty if you let yourself go.

**Edit** - With that, the +1 appearance purchase wouldn't be needed nor would the -1 'homely'. That part would just be derived by the base level before or after purchases with XP/Chargen.

Dice

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:51 pm

I sort of like this, but I think I have my qualms!

Mostly, they center around 1) a lot of code added to a stat that many people feel maybe shouldn't even be coded; 2) weakening charisma down to useless levels; 3) lack of realism.

To expand on 3...

I feel like people give a mental app boost already to those in beautiful, fancy clothing, depending on their taste, and that's the best way to do it - especially and I see a lot of people in silks and velvets I actually find not so attractive or stylish! Also, I think it's very possible to be a jowly, warty, homely sort of person clad in silks and velvets and makeup and perfume and suddenly be app 4 despite it - which I don't think makes sense.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:08 am

I like it, but also sort of agree with Dice. That said, I think it'd be good to make objs in game more worthwhile and effective on appearance. It could just be that all of the cosmetics in game are underused/known/explored. I'll ask Temi about what she's built recently, and what is in game insofar as makeup goes.

BattleJenkins

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:47 pm

I did just sort of type that up on a whim - I don't have strong feelings about it either way! I do think the basics of the system we have in place right now are just fine - though I think that expanding it from a 5 point to a 10 point scale and providing a finer scale to account for things like clothes and cosmetics of varying quality would be a worthwhile change, if any change was needed.

Having appearance be sort of half-coupled to Charisma is kind of a compromise measure - there are certainly both people who think Charisma should affect appearance more, and people who think Charisma shouldn't affect appearance at all, and neither of them are wrong - it's just a matter of preference. Maybe de-coupling appearance from Charisma entirely and starting everyone off average, but making purchasing up your appearance cheaper for high Charisma characters would be a good compromise?

• Information