Woodworking Thoughts and Ideas

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Nedyra

Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:24 pm

What's been put together so far with regards the new woodworking system, in approximately cliff notes form. I expect this will be edited, expanded on, etc in short order. Any questions, comments, thoughts, additions, whichever feel free to find me in-game or post here.

* Woodworking will be structured similar to blacksmithing, in that lower quality/easier to make recipes will be set at lower, non-restricted ranks.
* Woodcutting skill will possibly be deprecated, in favour of a 0 rank recipe with potential for relying on assistance from blacksmiths (this depends on whether or not a sharpen ability will be returned to game functionality).
* Woodcutting's replacement will produce a tree, which can be downsized to its individual components or other variations (planks for furniture, kindling for fires, etc).
* Certain recipes, particularly the more complex ones (furniture, for instance), will rely on ingredients produced by other crafts. Blacksmithing's iron nails, or cooking's gloo, for example.
* Woodworking recipes will also use tools already available in blacksmithing recipes, or as a prerequisite for blacksmithing recipes.
* Paints/finishes can be used for the higher end recipes, to reflect their more professional quality. these can optionally be made recipes available in chandlery.
* Likewise, possibility for recipes in woodworking to support/assist other crafts. The creation of tools, for instance.
* Would be nice, but probably not a priority due to code limitations: the ability for a skilled woodworker to repair a bashed door.

Thanks again to everyone who stuck around for the talk, and I've now got a starting point to work from in the redesign. We'll probably do this again later on, when I've made progress on it, but this will be an open thread in the meantime and I'll follow up with what doesn't get addressed here in-game as we move forward.

• Information