Fleeing and etc.

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Leech

Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:04 pm

The problem for me comes when A is in the far northwest corner and B is in the far southwest corner. A is trying to go west, and B is going to block them. In a single turn B can block them from going, even though they are on the other side of the room - AND initiate combat with them, if this system goes in as is described without any tweaks.

I thought it wasn't just me who thought moving more than one or two steps in TT should take a turn. Is that not what was soft-agreed on in the Community Standards discussion?
Player of: Alexander ab Courtland

Dice

Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:09 pm

I do see this as being a potential problem. What would be ideal would be if the system could ensure the two players moved the same amount, possibly dex-modified.

I.e., A is in northwest corner, B is in southwest corner. A is 1 step from exit, but 10 steps from B. B won't get there in time.

But if by the time A would exit the room, B is able to get within weapon range +/- a step or two more, A should be stopped and combat initiated.

Applesauce

Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:26 pm

Leech wrote:I thought it wasn't just me who thought moving more than one or two steps in TT should take a turn. Is that not what was soft-agreed on in the Community Standards discussion?
Nope, I'm pretty sure that's what was agreed on. If the players are in TT then yes, they would be moving too far for a single turn.

I think that's what I misunderstood in your other example - No command understands TT, right now you just fire off "Turns" and it tells players to start using the agreed upon behaviors for Tense Time. But there's no actual code effect, so Guard and the directional NESW commands don't know whether it's OK or not to just start walking, vs move step by step.

It would be great to have TT actually toggle the way walking / guard / entering combat / etc. behave, but I think that's a long way off. Could be wrong of course, but seems that way.

Temi

Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:50 pm

Maybe if you're closer to the exit than to the person guarding, perhaps by a certain margin, you can exit without combat? Ie, if the guard is twice as far as the exit point, they can't really try to stop you.

Applesauce

Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:45 am

Temi wrote:Maybe if you're closer to the exit than to the person guarding, perhaps by a certain margin, you can exit without combat? Ie, if the guard is twice as far as the exit point, they can't really try to stop you.
Indoors and in city rooms that will probably be fine, because it means the "mover" will probably have to be 0 to 2 spaces away, which is one turn and seems reasonable for a quick escape.

Still seems like there will be some wonkiness, but no sense projecting issues on situations that don't yet exist. Gonna back out of the thread so I don't feel like I'm just being argumentative.

I just think it's beyond complicated for rules to apply to both "real time" and "tense time" commands at the same... er... time.

• Information