Rank-Restricted Gnotes

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Dice

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:59 am

We badly need the ability to restrict gnotes by rank so that only higher-rank individuals can read them. This would allow the Order to put extremely sensitive info in gnotes without worrying that lower-level folks could join up just to clear out the whole filing system. As it stands, that's a considerable risk that tends to prevent full and unrestrained use of gnotes.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:03 am

How do you think this would be handled code-wise, syntax wise, display wise, etc?

Dice

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:07 am

Add an additional optional aspect to gnote new:

gnote new <subject> <title> [number for rank restriction, or rank name if it could take either?] (somehow separated, perhaps by characters, so it was clear the number/name wasn't part of the title?)

If you can't view it, you can see somebody posted a gnote, but subject and title are both just "Rank-Restricted". You also cannot review the gnote, of course, or edit it, or in any other way interact with it - all you can do is see it on gnote list.

If you can view it, you can see somebody posted a gnote, and see the original subject and title, with a tag of (Rank-Restricted) at the end. When you review it, the rank restriction is listed, and you can interact with it fully.

Example:

gnote order review 1:
Argider's note about Artin on June 29 SC 360.
RANK RESTRICTED: To Priest and higher

gnote order list (if you can't see it):
Order notes:
1) Author: Argider (Dec 13 2013) Target: RANK-RESTRICTED

If you can see it:
Order notes:
1) Author: Argider (Dec 13 2013) Target: (Artin) Summary [RANK-RESTRICTED]

Inertia

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:51 am

Maybe something separate a la gnote lock, so, gnote <guild> <note #> restrict <minimum rank/subrank requirement>.

Gavin

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:58 pm

Codewise, it should be easy to include, when creating a gnote, the integer that corresponds to the rank (e.g., for the Order, I think 20 is Cardinal, and 0 is Initiate). Unless set by the author, the default could be 0.

Additionally, Inertia's "lock" command would be pretty easy too, just overwriting that integer.

Basically-- this should be a relatively quick fix.

Onyxsoulle

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:59 am

This is actually somewhat in game atm(though I think it's a side effect). If a player's subrank is inactive, then they cannot read gnotes. I have found this out on two of my alts, so maybe it could be possible to further it to allow for different levels of 'gnote visibility'. Which in turn gives a function for subranks(right now subranks seem kind of superfluous, but I could be wrong there).

• Information