[Completed] Turns and RPXP Gain

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Inertia

Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:53 pm

I type pretty slow when I'm RPing. A response pose might take me between 10-20 minutes. And I'm not the only one! So I'd like to suggest extending the time limit on the RPXP gain algorithm so that slowpokes such as myself are not penalized for needing more writing time.

I don't think extending the time hurts anything but in case it's not always ideal, I wanted to suggest tying the time extension to the 'turns' command since, especially in larger scenes, it might be a good 15+ before it's your turn to pose again - and why not maximize a player's RPXP gain in situations that tend to be confusing and/or frustrating for all involved?

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:47 am

The RP algorithm looks for one pose at less than 10 minute intervals to assume you're in RP... You really take more than 10 minutes to pose...?? >.<

Is this affecting a lot of people?

Dice

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:58 am

People definitely do take 10+ minutes to pose sometimes. I'm speaking up mostly because it does affect me, not because I usually take 10+ minutes to pose (but I do sometimes, and group scenes can make ANYBODY slow) but if you're in a scene with someone who takes a little longer, both players drop to none between poses. So it has the possibility to affect everyone. Especially, if like me, you're addicted to Inertia's long, detailed, excellent poses!

I don't think a 15-20 minute check would be ridiculous.

Empheba

Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:17 pm

It's certainly not all that unusual for me to end up with a pose rate lower than 1/10 mins, especially once there are more than two people in the scene. Even if each person themselves don't take 10+ minutes to write up their pose, the accumulated time until it's my turn and I've authored a response to all involved, certainly can be.

I've seen some split out their responses to multiple people into multiple poses instead, that might be different then.
Empheba

wimple

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:06 pm

I know there are some people that take a long time to pose. But I really don't like the idea of encouraging longer pose times. If people are posing once every twenty minutes, a one hour scene is only going to be three poses on their side. That's not reasonable. No matter how detailed or wonderful the slow poses are, if I only have an hour or two to play, that's not going to let me get through a scene at all. I'd really like that to not become the norm.

Dice

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:24 am

I don't view this as encouraging longer pose times - nobody who poses quickly now is gonna start posing slower because of RPXP rates, yeah? It just helps the people who clearly aren't going to be posing faster than once per ten minutes even if there's RPXP incentive, because that's just not how they are.

Cellan

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:18 am

I'd like to see the window for pose times widened, as well. Though I generally take between 5-10 minutes for an emote, this is usually only when I'm in a two person scene. Dice and Inertia are right: when there's more than two people, it ALWAYS takes longer for it to get to your turn, and I like thinking about my character's responses and reactions before I write. I'm in favour of this.

wimple

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:32 am

If RPXP rates are set at a faster rate, then it tells people, if you want to get the RPXP bonus for the scene (and not just entertainment/enjoyment of RP), then you need to move at a certain pace. Expecting more than three poses in an hour for a one-on-one scene is not unreasonable. If it's extended to a twenty minute window, then it's saying that twenty minutes between poses is okay and the three poses an hour is part of the acceptable norm.

My problem is while this sounds viable in a large scene where there are lots of people (though perhaps more unnecessary as places is implemented), people are going to take this as an okay to do it in one-on-one scenes. I don't really care how epic your poses are, but posing once every twenty minutes in a two person scene is not okay. It can happen if you're busy doing other things, but it should be exception and not the rule. It shouldn't be encouraged. At that point, I think it's okay to tell people that they need to figure out a new approach and move faster.

If it's implemented, tie it to turns as inertia suggested for that scenario with large scenes. But don't make it a blanket move for all scenes.

Leech

Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:16 pm

Going to throw myself in with Wimple here, but I'm generally a fan of shorter, stylish emotes anyways. I want to move fast, get the boring stuff out of the way, and get to the meat 'n potatoes. Not to say I hate longer emotes and people who take more time, I realize there are some slow typers out there. I just wish they would, likewise, realize that a lot of us only have one to two hours at a time to RP, and we might have four other people who we want to RP with, but we NEED to power through this scene - and that it's okay to write shorter emotes.
Player of: Alexander ab Courtland

Inertia

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:25 pm

Everyone has their style preferences and the community, in my experience, is really good about being accommodating and compromising so that a scene isn't too painful for anybody involved.

I don't see extending the time out by five minutes doing anything detrimental to anybody's enjoyment. Speaking for myself, sure, I like RP for RP's sake. But RPXP exists, I DO tend to require it to support the concepts I like to play, and in those situations where I'm with an understanding RP partner and can be totally comfortable with writing to my preferences, I'd really like to not feel like I have to publish emotes I'm not satisfied with in order to grind for my next XP purchase. That's all!

• Information