Returning Players

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Geras

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:18 pm

This is sparked by a comment on OOC...

Could we maybe make this game a bit friendlier to returning players by any chance? Losing both your assets and your house when you go inactive is a big disincentive to return, and we need people to return.

One though is NOT having assets expire when you go inactive.

Another is having half the value of the house returned to you if you lose it due to unpaid taxes.

Thoughts?

Sparkles

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:22 pm

I guess for me the thing is you have characters who disappear for 6 RL months to RL years and return at what point should be the fair cutoff to return to a character?

Is there one?

galaxgal

Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:42 pm

I guess my question is why do we need to penalize players for disappearing? They're already likely to lose their Guild and many of their old social connections due to player rotation and maintenance. I generally don't like the idea that run-of-the-mill players are punished so harshly for taking a break that they consider not coming back when they see the state of their character.
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

Taunya

Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:45 pm

I concur, especially on assets. I feel they shouldn't poof unless a character is wrapped.

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:44 am

I feel that this depends on the type of asset. If it's a shop management asset, that should go to someone else, even if it's an NPC shop. At least, after a certain amount of time. That's an opportunity for RP for someone else that's being taken up by someone who is inactive for... however long. There should be a point when this type of asset goes to someone else for the RP opportunity.

Other type of assets, since people can create assets at-will, I don't see a reason they'd have to vanish, necessarily.
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

Taunya

Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:54 am

Yeah, roster assets should remain how they are. There's no effort or silver/xp involved in getting a new one when you return.
Purchased assets on the other hand can take a bit of effort to acquire, especially with resources attached to them.
I know of one or two people who have gotten disillusioned and quit or retired their character after losing their purchased assets during a hiatus.

Geras

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:00 am

Galax - do your question, I don't think there's a limit on how long someone has been gone before we don't want them back, so no.

Temi

Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:11 pm

The reason why assets go up for sale or disappear is because we have code that works to balance the type of the assets and the selected resources, so if someone disappears with some assets that have currently popular items, that could prevent others who are currently playing from getting those more desirable ones. How would you guys propose to balance that?

Taunya

Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:23 pm

They could become available to create without being removed from the inactive player. I don't think it would upset the balance too much.

If they return, it'll again not be available to create unless a few extra people with the asset type die off, liquidate, or sell their asset themselves. Or enough characters create the inverse asset so that it becomes in balance again.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:29 pm

I don't believe a person should be able to hold onto a purchased asset if they go inactive past the limit, same with houses and other things... Though I do believe, half the initial purchase price/worth of the assets and/or house should be returned upon automatic removal from the character.
Lurks the Forums

• Information