Make Falcons Useful (Again)

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Chief
Discord Handle: ChiefBigWeed#6739

Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:43 am

So.. What's boggled me is the fact anyone with a Husbandry level of 40 can train dogs to join them in hunting, and despite dogs more often serving as distraction or something to 'course' with than actual attack dogs in hunts, they are coded to attack while you fight animals.

Falcons, requiring a whopping 65 to tame/train/care for, are utterly useless in that they do nothing in PC vs. Animal combat. This also makes Falconry hunting impossible unless done solely as RP. I would really enjoy and suggests falcons helping out in PC vs. Animal combat.

Don't think I need to begin summing up why falcons are, by far, more effective and lethal hunters than breeds of hunting canines. If only them joining you fighting smaller game - the fact they're utterly useless is kind of a waste of money, doesn't open up a real market for them, and why this has them pushed up all the way to a level 65 Husbandry level goes beyond me.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:11 am

I'm wondering if part of this is because of the code of "distance" in combat and because falcons fly they are never "within distance" to fight things. There might also be the slight concern about someone walking around with a 10-strong pack of attack birds. :lol:

So if my assumption is correct and flying code is part of the trouble, might I humbly suggest a potential work-around and/or another solution:

- Husbandry Craft(s) to turn herds of hunting animals - dogs, falcons, etc into a "working herd" that rather than being kept for breeding new critters allows a pack to produce (on the refill timer like all herds) the game the pack would be hunting. So rabbits, ermine, etc.

If tending those "working herds" (at least the hunting dogs) was set to 36, that would open up a new market for people who are selling hunting dogs to people who might know enough to have/handle one, but not skilled enough to breed their own.

Taunya

Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:20 am

Distance only matters on PC/PC combat, it's ignored for PC/NPC and NPC/NPC.
I'm pretty sure hawks being unable to attack is an oversight. Just try to keep it realistic when it is fixed and stick to hunting small game with them. I could *maybe* see a hawk being used to claw the face of larger game, but I think that'd be more of a liability than a help in most cases.

On the topic though, a lot of small game should have their HP reduced so that a hawk can hunt them well. They're a little tough.
chipmunks, rabbits, and beavers might be good to look at. Lizards are about the only small game I've seen that my hunting dog can reliably kill in one strike.

Starstarfish

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:30 pm

On the topic though, a lot of small game should have their HP reduced so that a hawk can hunt them well. They're a little tough.
Haha, let's also not discuss fighting rats without using the Rhyme command. :?

Chief

Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:45 pm

Yeah. I wouldn't hunt bears or other overly big game with them. Never would. I simply want to hunt small things with them. To be honest, seeing a dog fight a bear also makes no sense, and I'd honestly wager a falcon has way better odds and attacks on something bigger but hey -- that doesn't matter here.

But yeah, some small game has a strange amount of HP. It's weird to see a chipmunk survive three arrows, an equal amount it takes me to fell buck at times.

I do also like the 'working herds' suggestion, where you could spawn a head or two of those working mobs to sell them to people who could be using them to hunt. But keep levels where they are - I don't think anyone should be given access to the more intricate sides of Husbandry unless they specialize in it. Proper care/training of horses, raptors, and also canines requires some intensive studying and skill.

Long as my birbs work, I'm a lot happier already. It's kind of saddening to have dove this deep into Husbandry and noticing the uselessness of all birds-of-prey. I'd go train horses too, but now I'm worried whatever those herds produce won't be functioning properly.

Temi

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:01 pm

Temi raises up her gauntlet and then drops it down in a gesture of falconry release.

Temi>
Launched into the air, a big, blue-grey goshawk circles overhead.
Sighting a small, brown-grey chipmunk, a big, blue-grey goshawk lets out a cry and dives for it.
In the blink of an eye, a small, brown-grey chipmunk is caught within a big, blue-grey goshawk's
talons.
Triumphantly, Temi runs forward to collect her bounty.
A small, brown-grey chipmunk's attack knocks a small, brown-grey chipmunk unconscious!
A small, brown-grey chipmunk is DEAD!!
A small, brown-grey chipmunk hits the ground ... DEAD.
<hums innocently>

Chief

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:39 am

H-H-How in the....

I've searched pretty much all helpfiles I could find around birds, pets, retainers, combat.. and I haven't a darn clue how you just did that.
It's also pretty cute that the chipmunk KO'ed itself :P

Also, Taunya, I'd refer you this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96tmxWIOQ5o

Raptors aren't a joke. I'd rate them far above dogs in efficiency as hunter. FAR.
They hunt goats, foxes, monkeys, deer.. Pretty much whatever they want.
Last edited by Chief on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:51 am

I find it highly amusing that Temi's own chipmunk's attack knocked her chipmunk unconscious. Did no one else see this?
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

Starstarfish

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:52 am

Kitty wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:51 am
I find it highly amusing that Temi's own chipmunk's attack knocked her chipmunk unconscious. Did no one else see this?
First rule of Fight Club, we don't talk about Fight Club.

Chief

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:15 am

Chief wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:39 am
It's also pretty cute that the chipmunk KO'ed itself :P
Haha - Yeah, that's the only thing that would likely need to get changed some, loving the rest of it.
Long as the lines aren't too pre-written for you, so don't have me skip over to check in the mantling birb being happy/hungry/proud over its kill.

• Information