Lockpicks

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Vee

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:37 am

Lockpicks are a jewelry craft. I would like to suggest that they also be made a blacksmithing craft, though they would be made from a different metal, of course. If a blacksmith can make small, fiddly things like nails and hinges, I don't see why they can't make a lockpick, too.

plague
Discord Handle: plague#6022

Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:10 am

I would like to bump this quite-old suggestion. In real life, lockpicks are made of steel, and throughout history, professional-grade lockpicks were most commonly made by the very same people who crafted them - that is, in game terms, it would have been done by locksmiths and those who were studied in locksmithing. More specifically, innovations in the technology of locks and lockpicking picked up very significantly in the mid-18th century, where before then, locks were actually quite weak and the best way to deter criminals was not a good lock, but deception.

While the game occupies a pseudo-historical timeframe, and the jeweling craft has jewelry boxes prior to lockpicks (which would certainly have these kinds of locks as well), it feels very strange that lockpicks are not also available on the blacksmithing "tree," which has lockable chests incredibly early on (which are in effect the same as large jewelry boxes in many cases, but more pointedly, are the exact kind of thing sophisticated locks were installed on due to size limitations of early designs).

I think that lockpicks under jeweling makes some decent sense, but I think it's really, really weird that blacksmiths can't make lockpicks at all when they actually have a much stronger thematic and historical connection to lockpicking. Granted, yes, I know, The Inquisition is not a historical game, nor is it historical fiction, but so long as we're working with a similar form of metalworking iron and steel, and access to more lockable objects, whose practitioners and tradespeople produced exactly these lock-defeating tools, it sticks out as a very strange design decision to me.

• Information