Messages to 'all' = town crier

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Buzz K[ir]ill

Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:13 am

It's always been a bit awkward, trying to work messengers into RP, not knowing anything about them until you "message receive," but here's a simple idea:
When you select 'all' as the target for your messenger, instead of the messenger appearing to the pbase as "A messenger waits for the signal to approach Yaddayadda.", it appears as "A town crier can be heard spreading a message from nearby." or something to that effect.
Only the output would be different; all other commands and functionality would stay the same. This would make it easier for players to know whether they should/could receive the message right away (i.e. as something they simply overhear, if they're in a position to do so), or whether they need to work it into their RP because they're being personally approached, either as an individual or as a member of a guild.

There are some shady edge cases where the distinction might not be welcome (e.g. if you're trying to spoof a town crier), but by and large, it makes a lot of sense to me. There are many ways the system could be further customized or personalized, options toggled, etc., but I'm hoping the simplicity of this suggestion makes it appealing enough to implement.

Kuzco

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:57 pm

Yes.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:54 pm

This would be a lovely change. Truthfully I would love the ability to just give a custom "Waiting" message regardless.
Lurks the Forums

Niamh
Discord Handle: Niamh#3824

Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:20 pm

There's a little spec addressing this in the code queue.

• Information