Rare and Limited Edition Items

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Jester

Wed May 04, 2016 10:07 pm

The goal of this idea was to put artifacts in the game, artifacts being defined as items that were created in the time of Dav or even before. These items could be books written by famous authors, artwork done by famous artists, and so on.

These creators would have a stamp that only staff members were able to use and their creations would be stamped to tell that they were genuine and created by that (now long dead) famous individual, giving them rarity value. This stamp would essentially be a signature.

Forgery would allow a person to try to replicate one of these signatures, and appraise would allow a person to try to tell if the piece was genuine or not. The appraisal would be checked against the forgery skill of the person creating the false piece.

The function behind the creation of this new system would primarily be motivation for Story Teller Events, such as the search of a tomb to uncover a piece of work done by someone famous. This would be an easy reward to generate and an easy quest reason to supply. The ST would simply have to come up with the string of the item to be signed upon approval by a staff member.

More significant ST events could have rarer works, such as an original edition of the Erra Pater being un-earthed. I believe this would generate RP as well, people could fund museum's to store the pieces in, thieves could attempt to break in, people could flock around to witness an original edition of the sacred text of the Davites, etc. It could influence the city's mood and morale (though I confess I'm not quite sure how that works) when such a text was found, and if it were to be destroyed the morale could go down.

That last paragraph was just ideas of how this could play out if it was implemented, and reasons I think the idea has some merit. Feel free to prove me wrong, haha. I'm always interested in learning more about how the game functions, even when the functions ruin an idea I thought had some use to it.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Wed May 04, 2016 10:30 pm

And if every story teller were to do a story about unearthing some long lost artifact, the system would soon lose it's value and worth, much like demons have. On top of that, you can be pretty darn sure that anything that is unearthed would be quickly snatched by the order because well... they don't things from before dav's time to be in the hands of others, and once snatched by the order all said items will do is sit and collect metaphorical dust, like so many other similar items have.

I'm all fine and dandy with artifacts being a thing, but they should only be added to the game via staff, and when staff feel they are appropriate, because otherwise everyone will be using artifacts in their stories and they will lose value.
Lurks the Forums

Gerolf

Thu May 05, 2016 11:03 am

Voxumo wrote:I'm all fine and dandy with artifacts being a thing, but they should only be added to the game via staff, and when staff feel they are appropriate, because otherwise everyone will be using artifacts in their stories and they will lose value.
+1

Jester

Thu May 05, 2016 3:33 pm

Jester wrote:The goal of this idea was to put artifacts in the game, artifacts being defined as items that were created in the time of Dav or even before. These items could be books written by famous authors, artwork done by famous artists, and so on.

These creators would have a stamp that only staff members were able to use and their creations would be stamped to tell that they were genuine and created by that (now long dead) famous individual, giving them rarity value. This stamp would essentially be a signature.

The function behind the creation of this new system would primarily be motivation for Story Teller Events, such as the search of a tomb to uncover a piece of work done by someone famous. This would be an easy reward to generate and an easy quest reason to supply. The ST would simply have to come up with the string of the item to be signed upon approval by a staff member.
Obviously not every ST event would need to have an item like this. I would prefer it didn't, to avoid them becoming too common or losing value. Additionally, if every ST started having something like this the events themselves would feel repetitive. I was hoping people could use the inspiration to get people moving towards the actual ST they had written.

Example being, rumors surface of a collection of paintings done by Caso de Brandt, a famous artist. Three separate locations could be set up to journey to, with only one housing the paintings. Misleading information could crop up from people who want the paintings themselves, and it would be a race to see who could identify which information was accurate and which area to search, as they'd be enough distance away from each other that only one was searchable by one group at a time. If the Brotherhood or another forger was fast enough they could grab the originals and leave fakes behind, even in the other tombs. The rumor could have been started by a forger, who picked the site themselves to get one of their works onto the market. These are just ideas I came up with while writing this paragraph, it doesn't have to be a dungeon crawl.

This was just intended to be something people could use in their STs if they wished and if staff thought the ST was properly thought out to deserve such an item, not to replace the way STs work right now.

Voxumo

Thu May 05, 2016 5:58 pm

Ok with your explanation I have one very important question. Let's say someone an event happens with an artifact, and the group manages to complete said story. Who gets the item, even if it's just a forgery? You have a group of 10+ people, obviously there isn't going to be an artifact for each person, so all the work the 9 other people had done is for squat as only one person gets the item.

This is why artifacts work in other games, where story isn't that important and everyone can get something out of the quest they just had to do. TI, it doesn't make much sense for everyone to get an artifact or item out of a 'quest'.
Lurks the Forums

Pixie

Thu May 05, 2016 7:02 pm

Need or greed pls.

Jester

Thu May 05, 2016 11:09 pm

Voxumo wrote:Ok with your explanation I have one very important question. Let's say someone an event happens with an artifact, and the group manages to complete said story. Who gets the item, even if it's just a forgery? You have a group of 10+ people, obviously there isn't going to be an artifact for each person, so all the work the 9 other people had done is for squat as only one person gets the item.
The leader of the group, or they fight for it internally, or the item is sold and they split the profits. It's really up to the group and the RP between them. If a Noble is funding the expedition, I'd imagine they'd pay the other 9 people for their troubles and keep the artifact. If it's a group of treasure hunters, I'd imagine they'd sell it or one person would betray the others and keep the item themselves. If its a group with an accomplished forger, they could claim they found 10 different paintings, making 10 forgeries and keeping the original lest people get suspicious. The details are really for the people involved to work out, and I'd imagine they'd vary each time.

Voxumo

Fri May 06, 2016 12:32 am

I stand by my prior statement. Artifacts should only be created by staff, and when staff feel appropriate, and that such 'Stories' as you describe do not fit into the theme of the game. But I'm just one person.
Lurks the Forums

Jester

Fri May 06, 2016 2:53 pm

I value the opinion of someone who has been around so much longer than I and undoubtedly seen many more story events. I myself have only seen two ongoing in my entire span here (which is something around only four months). I came up with the idea so that STs could be easier and I would hopefully have to chance to participate in a few, or even create some.

However, if it doesn't fit into the theme of the game, it doesn't fit in the theme of the game. If others agree with you, consider the idea scrapped.

When I play a game I like to suggest a lot of ideas (as you've probably noticed, ha), it helps me get a feel for how the game works and some of them have proven quite useful in the past. No hard feelings when one simply doesn't fit. I've noticed that in some ways the longer I play a game, the harder it becomes to come up with ideas of ways it could be changed. You get so used to the way things are that you stop seeing ways it could be. That's why I've been suggesting things even though admittedly my knowledge of Ti as a whole is severely lacking compared to most other players.

Anyway, enough explanation on my end. I'll wait to hear what others have to say about this, see if it can be salvaged into something that suits Ti's story structure.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat May 07, 2016 5:52 pm

Personally, if a player wanted an artefact for a story, I'd make it for them. I don't see why they wouldn't be thematic, etc.

• Information