Craftable Yeast

Specifically for code or policies you would like to see implemented.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

BlackSoul566

Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:59 pm

Baker's Yeast can be made with equal parts water and flour, covered and cooked at a certain temperature. I think this process could be replicated in game as a brewing or cooking craft.

PCow

Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:57 pm

One problem with this is that whichever Craft gets it, the other lacks it.
That's currently the case with Coffee Beans, in a way. You can get or harvest them, you want to brew coffee using brewing, but that needs roasted beans, which is 15 Cooking. So now brewing also needs XP dumped into cooking. But yeast cuts both ways. Both need it, and whichever one doesn't get it it would have to skill the one that does.

And on another note, another yeast situation exists, to my knowledge, with "rice mold". Used for Rice Starter in brewing, for Rice Ale and Rice Wine. It's sold exclusively in the brewery vendor and as an asset resource as far as I can tell, and, notably, Rice does not have a decay timer that could turn it into mold, or at least produce it, naturally, nor is there a malting process like with grains that can be activated to get it. Might be worth looking into as well in terms of making it craftable.

Evrald

Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:19 pm

The same is also rather true for the monopoly crafting skills. Blacksmith needs parts from Woodworking, Woodworking needs parts from Blacksmithing, and Leatherworking also needs parts from Blacksmithing.
Resident Savage Player / Expert - Currently Not a Savage though

Misfit

Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:25 am

You could always make the crafting of yeast 'unskilled'.

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:23 am

I am of the (probably unpopular) opinion that not everything in game needs a craftable counterpart.

Yeast is, in no way, a difficult ingredient to find. It is forgeable in one place on grid, and it is sold both Northside and Southside. And in one of those places, for literally 1 silver.
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

BlackSoul566

Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:40 am

PCow wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:57 pm
One problem with this is that whichever Craft gets it, the other lacks it.
Not necessarily. Both jeweling and smithing have lockpicks. I don't see a reason that both brewing and cooking couldn't both have craftable yeast.

Temi

Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:19 pm

It was a design decision that not all ingredients would be craftable and there are some for most crafts that might need to be purchased. As suggested, this does allow an in-road for other sorts access to be a little more desirable. We also don't view it as a negative that some recipes encourage working with people who know different crafts.

• Information