Marriage Proposal

Specifically for code or policies you would like to see implemented.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:33 am

This may be a topic of contention, and I almost half expect it to be a, "Uh. No," type situation - but I would rather put it out there than not.

I play on another MUD that is similar in strictness to class separation/requirements/etc. In fact, it has 6 classes, rather than just 3. Some classes are barred from certain parts of the grid unless sneaky, etc.

They allow marriage of one class up or down, with approval.

So, in our setting, freeman/gentry would be ok, but to be approved would have to be like rich freeman or business owner freeman, non-criminal freeman, GL freeman, etc.

In the same manner, gentry and noble would be ok, but to be approved would have to be SUPER rich gentry or longstanding GL or great lord GL or some other standard to prove they are cream of the crop and can handle the responsibility of being a noble spouse. (Really, we see this anyway when people are ennobled and already have spouses. Doesn't seem a huge stretch.)

Freeman and noble would NEVER be allowed. Ever. Also unlikely for Charali/Hillman and gentry, unless current IC viewpoints and lore change there.

I was wondering if this sort of flexibility might be considered here. We have a generally low population, even if we are allowed to have alts. The required approval would keep it in check (people do something embarrassing, or overly sinful, or are obviously not giving a crap about the seriousness of the situation - approval need not be granted. Just like any other set of banns, etc.)

NOTE: I think the change where gentry parents have to buy their children's gentrification also lends well to this. If gentry parents can have freemen children, spouses could also be possible.
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

PositronicJune
Discord Handle: Little#7070

Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:03 pm

I'm not sure if this isn't just the status quo. Kind of. It's not unheard of for gentry and nobles to marry, and freemen can elevate themselves to gentry to marry their partner.

Temi

Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:47 pm

With only three playable classes, a generic assumption of 'one-off is fine' is defacto just 'this only matters for ennoblement'. It's already possible to make these unions happen, but the assumption should be that they are very rare and should never be expected. I think making it more okay would water down classes too much.

• Information