Forgery Upgrades

Specifically for code or policies you would like to see implemented.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Gnomely

Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:55 pm

So, from what I understand from this skill, you should be able to tell if a letter you receive is authentic. Or set up a false alias. The imms and the Brotherhood have discussed this together, recently ( at the time of this post )

However, upon closer experimentation, it appears you cannot actually compare two letters. You can only verify if one letter is 'authentic' which is super vague, and really, ultimately pointless in the long run. Like, sure, something might be authentic. But is it the comparable to something written by a suspected same person? No, it's not possible to decide that. I also don't take credit for this logic, someone else mentioned that at that meeting. Lol.

So I propose a "forgery compare" command, that functions with the current item compare, but specifically based on Forgery skill and mail. Basically you should be able to tell if two letters from the same person, are in fact, the same person. I think the only way to do this currently, is to run an RPA, which seems to me, a big waste of QP and GP for something so small.

There's also the idea of adding new crafts to Forgery, for inks, paintings, and the like.

Eos
Discord Handle: Eos#5637

Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:39 pm

To encourage discussion on this: What other upgrades to forgery could be nice?

mystry

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:41 pm

I have a rather large and expansive (and probably extremely hard to implement) idea regarding PRESTIGE that could tie in to forging. I'll skip most of the details and try to focus only on what forgery could bring to it, to stay on topic.

So, I have complained frequently about how I find prestige to basically be impossible to get in any high amount unless you are a noble and can host/contribute to projects; so I thought, perhaps the quality of ones phome could add to prestige, especially if you put high value furniture and paintings and such in it.

When it comes to forgery specifically, I would like to see them able to copy works of art, to sell. Especially paintings. They would confer prestige bonus like the real thing, until it is determined that it is in fact a fake, at which point the player who owns it gets struck with a prestige malus for having bought a forgery.

Basically, the idea was to have a practical PURPOSE for art and high value things like that, to encourage their use. And forgery to allow thieves and non-artists to make bank off that desire for art.

Gnomely

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:09 pm

That makes no sense, dude. Also, this is about letters, mail, why the hell do we need Prestige to have any effect here? That's a conversation for another thread, my dude.

No one would know you have this stuff in your house. Lol.

I like the idea of copying Artwork, though.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:30 pm

So, I have complained frequently about how I find prestige to basically be impossible to get in any high amount unless you are a noble and can host/contribute to projects; so I thought, perhaps the quality of ones phome could add to prestige, especially if you put high value furniture and paintings and such in it.
The difficulty here is Prestige is a calculation of social power (in essence) ... would the public at large know what kind of couch you have? Because that kind of opens the thought if that is publicly known for benefit (higher Prestige) would we let people draw upon that information for the down sides (IE - using that information to determine who is worth robbing?)

mystry

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:35 pm

Gnomely wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:09 pm
That makes no sense, dude. Also, this is about letters, mail, why the hell do we need Prestige to have any effect here? That's a conversation for another thread, my dude.

No one would know you have this stuff in your house. Lol.

I like the idea of copying Artwork, though.
The problem with art and artwork is that it has no use beyond RP fluff, which means a lot of players will simply ignore it. By giving it a mechanical use (granting minor prestige), it becomes desirable.

And then you add the ability to use forgery to make copies of artwork that you can sell, either openly or on a black market, claiming legitimacy.

As for how people would know you have it, I can see a wealthy noble or gentry person bragging about having some high class art.

Lastly, I am trying to come up with ways to help YOUR guild and YOUR guildskills. No need to be rude.

• Information