Unlimited objects for backrooms

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Smithers

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:51 pm

Could backrooms bypass the object limit, please?

Supplies and ingredients are a good source for supplemental income but you can quickly hit the 200 item limit when attempting to make them available through an NPC shop. For example, a suit of armor takes 33 pieces of leather. I can only sell about six suits' worth of leather in a shop before I've run out of room. So if you're running any sort of general goods store, anything you'd reasonably sell in bulk is going to limit your variety by a lot, and/or force you to create packages for bulk buying, which runs into the new problem of attempting to guess how much of something your customers might want to buy.

Setting backrooms to have unlimited object space could help PCs keep shops looking full with less time spent on refilling and rearranging bulk items while keeping space for other customized objects, thus stimulating the PC-run economy and encouraging more PC-to-PC interaction. In the short term, it may help with object hoarding too, if people can get their supplies out to people who want them instead of holding onto them in hopes of finding a use "someday."

If this seems too easily abused, maybe just items that are commonly sold for bulk use can get some sort of limitless flag where they don't count against a room item limit. Herbs, spices, butter, leather, charcoal, wood, scraps, etc etc.?

Taunya

Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:40 pm

...or force you to create packages for bulk buying, which runs into the new problem of attempting to guess how much of something your customers might want to buy.
I don't see a problem with that.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:04 pm

I think folks having an ability to hoard more stuff will just lead to hoarding more stuff. It also will allow people to essentially get around taxes or the IC need for space if they can put everything they might possibly want in one room.

You can also flood yourself out of your connection by looking in a room with an inventory over a certain point which seems potentially problematic.

In the past people have handled this by creating packages of items, usually in groupings of x12, x24, x36 and things like that. From my experience, that works for items people want to buy in bulk and I'd say give it a go and see if it doesn't work this time as well.

• Information