knock-knock

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Taunya

Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:09 pm

Phomes can be rather large, but knocking alerts only to the opposite side of a door.

I'd like to suggest knocking be added as something that a mobprog can react to, so an alert could sound throughout the phome when there's a guest.

Kuzco

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:27 pm

Knock has a range of 2 rooms.

Buzz K[ir]ill

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:15 am

I don't think this requires any special code -- should be able to trigger off of a knock and alert certain rooms in a phome. Depending on how many rooms, however... might get expensive if staff are willing to implement?

Taunya

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:22 am

Last time I requested one, it wasn't doable- knocking isn't picked up by a mob script. Or at least it isn't from a mob on the other side of the door.

I think it might be possible if the mob is placed on the outside, but I imagine that'd trigger on a knock in any direction, not just the direction of your door (so no good if you have neighbors)

Niamh
Discord Handle: Niamh#3824

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:19 am

This could be doable with a mob script using an ACT trigger. I'd need to do some testing to find out - it's possible I've already tested it and it was a disaster for any number of reasons, but it's been long enough I don't remember trying.

I think the main issue with it would be what Taunya cited - what would the mob do in response to the knock trigger? Anything that alerts the rooms around itself will also alert anything in the vicinity, like other players' homes, public rooms, so on. Anything that alerts the zone would alert all phomes in the game. We could possibly make it so it alerts only through specific vnums, but that would get a little draining for me as the builder - any time the person added a room to their house I'd need to remember to modify the script, which I'd probably forget to do and have to backtrack more often than not.

...Kind of curious about this now. Going to see how easy a simpler set-up would be.

Taunya

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:05 pm

Well, In the case of my phome, I've got a guard dog inside that doesn't really serve any use at the moment.
I would like it to do a barking rpyell when someone knocks on the door, and send an alert to vnums inside the phome that aren't covered in the range of the rpyell.

You're welcome to play with my dog again when you have time. ;)

Niamh
Discord Handle: Niamh#3824

Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:54 am

I officially recall why scripts didn't work very well for this.

We'd need a system for it that didn't rely on mobprogs. Added to talking points.

• Information