Beltpouch = on hand

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Buzz K[ir]ill

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:47 am

Since this comes up in visnet every now and then, and is potentially confusing, I'd like to suggest a slight rewording to the withdraw output and any other areas that might mention the "beltpouch" as the place where coins are codedly stored on one's person. Part of the confusion is due to the fact that there are real belt pouch items in game that may be interacted with using normal get/put commands.

The way it is now:

Code: Select all

withdraw 100 silver
Jimbob has withdrawn 100 silver.
   Account:       4900.
   Beltpouch:      100.

Improved wording:

withdraw 100 silver
Jimbob has withdrawn 100 silver.
   Account:       4900.
   On hand:        100.

When you type 'worth' right now, and you're in a guild, it lists the money in the guild account as "'on hand". If the above is changed, then the guild line should probably be adjusted to more accurately reflect that the money is in the bank:

worth
Jimbob has 1 gold and 1 silver.
Jimbob has 6000 silver in the bank.
  The Council has 12000/15000 silver in the bank.
Last edited by Buzz K[ir]ill on Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kuzco

Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:50 am

I remember this confusing me as a newbie.

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:36 am

However,

If you do put silver in the pouch, it no longer counts it. So, if we are to make this in any way practical, we may want to actually add additional code that counts the silver/gold/whatever in the pouch, too. I just tested it. Look:

worth
Jill has 0 gold and 2 silver.
Jill has xxx silver in the bank.

put 1 silver sash
Jill places a single silver coin into [insert appropriate pouch object here that is a coin purse].

worth
Jill has 0 gold and 1 silver.
Jill has xxx silver in the bank. (let the records show, this is the same amount as previous.)

So, to make it properly work and not lose coin and/or be even more confusing to newbies and everyone else, code might need to search all bags, or only coin purse type bags, to one depth. (Of course, if you put coin in a bag, and then put the bag in another bag, that would be too much.)

This might be a more complicated thing than what's on the surface.

(While I realize this is not directly related to withdraws and deposits, it's related to another part of the code that also shows balance in the bank vs. coin in hand. I could make a new topic for it, instead, if need be?)
Last edited by Dreams on Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:45 am

Oh, and as a note, that 1 silver that's in the beltpouch is still "missing" when more is withdrawn from the bank, even though it is, technically, there on her person.

So... 'on hand' may not be the best way to put it, but 'beltpouch' is definitely not, either. I guess that's what I was trying to say.

withdraw 10 silver
Jill has withdrawn 10 silver.
   Account:        xxx - 10.
   Beltpouch:       11.

l in [coin purse object]
Jill examines [coin purse object].
A [coin purse object] holds:

a silver coin

get silver [coin purse object]
Jill gets a silver coin from [coin purse object].

worth
Jill has 0 gold and 12 silver.
Jill has xxx - 10 silver in the bank.
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

Buzz K[ir]ill

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:25 am

I don't think we need to add code to account for all the coins in someone's bags. If they're at the stage they're getting and putting coins somewhere else, then they've figured out how money works already. My suggestions are just to improve the wording of the worth/withdraw output, which requires only very slight changes to code.

Niamh
Discord Handle: Niamh#3824

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:02 am

Added to discussion list.

• Information