Tell rations

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Taunya

Sat May 04, 2019 6:58 pm

I think the removal of tells has generally been a positive experience so far, but there are times when it becomes a burden not being able to send one to another player.
For example, some things might need to be clarified privately, Or the game might crash, and you end up separated from your RP partner, and unsure where to meet. OOC boards can be a little unwieldy for short things like this.

Drawing from the whoinvis timer, I had a thought on allowing a small number of tells to be usable. I think perhaps 2 total, reset every 5 hours. Perhaps more could be purchased with exp like the whoinvis timer can, but I don't know if that'd be a great idea. This would stop tells from being used to chat, but retain the ability to use them where they can be most useful.

Thoughts?

Lei
Discord Handle: Lei#3876

Mon May 06, 2019 5:27 pm

I like this.
Old As Dirt

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Mon May 06, 2019 7:25 pm

Cyans should also be eligible to send/receive a certain number, I'd say. As noted, otherwise at present you get docked RPXP for trying to explain things with osay to new players.

Geras

Fri May 10, 2019 12:01 pm

I think allowing tells to/from cyans would be a good idea. Other than that I'd rather see guildchannels come back (I don't think they were ever removed on oldTI even) before I saw some losening of the belt on tells.

Helena

Sat May 11, 2019 12:21 pm

Please, don't.

For cyans, there is the system to send helpfiles if need be. I see no other reason to communicate with them OOCly. I personaly find myself the amount of tells received by new characters annoying, even if the people telling mean well.

As for the utility of tells when you loose your RP partner after a game crash or a failure with follow, I'd suggest, if no better solution is found, at most 1 tell a login, which resets at reboot (after a crash).

Annalesa

Sat May 11, 2019 11:23 pm

I think is a decent idea. Or something akin to it. I do see the need to give them some help. The help files are detailed and do a good job, but sometimes you do need to explain the finer points of something. Or you look five times and simply can't find what you're looking for. That happens to me at times. I'd say keep it extremely rationed, yeah, because there is visnet, but a lack of the ability to get help could frustrate some people badly.

If we ever get a glut of newbies like we did during the "orphans" invasion a while back, then we'll be grateful for some type of channeling device other than visnet. It's doubtful that'll happen, granted, so I'm not sure that we need it just yet.

Maybe even make it an option that is turned on at staff discretion or that is an automated button when X% of the pbase online is cyan?

Niamh
Discord Handle: Niamh#3824

Sun May 12, 2019 4:38 am

Starstarfish wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:25 pm
Cyans should also be eligible to send/receive a certain number, I'd say. As noted, otherwise at present you get docked RPXP for trying to explain things with osay to new players.
If it helps, you don't get charged RPXP for osays if a cyan (or a Staff member) is in the room.

Starstarfish
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Mon May 13, 2019 4:58 pm

That's very helpful to know!

• Information