A New Cardinal in Lithmore (Again)

Post logs, pictures, poetry and more. (Please request the permission of others before posting logs about their characters. Thank you!)

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Rabek

Thu May 10, 2012 5:48 pm

Grand Inquisitor Florense ab Flewelling dips into a quick bow at the back of the church, tracing the Chalice across her tall, broad-shouldered frame. She rises quickly in a rush clean satin and silks, trailed by a not-threadbare a long sable cotton cloak, emblazoned with the Holy Chalice. She joins Kibane's side at his left in silence.

Kibane glances back at the cathedra, pursing lips faintly. He leans over to whisper to Grand Inquisitor Florense ab Flewelling before standing straight again. He also seems to notice the a giant squat-faced mastiff with a rich apricot coat with a slightly dubious expression, but he doesn't speak anything of it.

Grand Inquisitor Florense ab Flewelling cannot but help to crack a very faint, very quick smile that causes her eyes to sparkle at Kibane's remark. She simply dips her chin in an otherwise solemn nod, remaining quietly at his side.

Kibane looks over the crowds, turning towards the chalice before taking it and displaying it before the congregation. It is then returned to its place. "Greetings, people of Lithmore! Thank you for making time to come this evening."

A young woman with dark chocolate hair inclines her head as Kibane begins to speak. Curiousity marking features but she remains hushed and still.

A young boy, with short black hair, and green eyes adjusts a dark blue skullcap with silver chalices embroidered on it, then looks up to watch Kibane.

Kibane smooths out his robes, "As you may or may not have heard, the High Synod has already declared a new Cardinal of Lithmore. In their great wisdom that is far beyond that of my own, they have for some reason selected me for this position. I am Cardinal Kibane ab Kagson. Prior to this, I was a bishop often assigned to some of the more troubled villages on the borders of this duchy. Now, Lithmore city itself is the troubled one." He seems to pause for any reactions, either the self-depreciating tone regarding his own selection, or his statement of Lithmore's troubles.

A young woman with dark chocolate hair arches her brows a slight bit, lips pursing in her moment of appraisal for the man. She nods once at the end of his statement as if in agreement with the state of things, folding her arms acrossed her chest.

Grand Inquisitor Florense ab Flewelling keeps her eyes on Kibane, standing silently at his side, as silent and unmoving as King Tobin ab Samael's a giant squat-faced mastiff with a rich apricot coat. She shifts lightly in a pair of lace up, heeled boots made of darkly dyed leather, turning her eyes to scan the congregation pensively.

Baron Ariel le Orban cracks a slight smile, though at what part of the introduction it's difficult to say; otherwise his expression is rather inscrutable, held to even lines.

Queen Cellan ab Samael is sitting neatly and quietly as a wren in the pew beside King Tobin ab Samael, back straight, chin slightly lifted, wide, blue eyes round with attention. Her mouth turns in a faint smile at one corner, though she doesn't stray from anything other than a polite, intent expression.

Leaning over to a tough-featured bodyguard, who is in the aisle, King Tobin ab Samael nods southward. The man nods, and pats his thigh once, quietly. a giant squat-faced mastiff with a rich apricot coat rises, and the two move quietly back towards the rear of the Church. [King Tobin ab Samael]

Kibane continues on, "I am aware that there have been a series of troubles in the Order of late. I am aware that the Order is not above sin. -I- am not above sin. No one is. Each must atone for their sins and never hide it. Least of all should the Order aid in hiding the sins of its members. I am here, people of Lithmore, to enact a reform of Dav's Holy Order, returning it to the true path of the Lord. I know the Order has been lax. I am here to educate with as soft a hand as possible and as firm a hand as necessary. If you witness sin amongst the Order, tell me. Even if it is myself you see sinning. There will be no punishments for these actions. There will be no mass burnings for perceived slights against the Order. There will be a return to Dav's words and laws, and the guidance of the Lord. There will be absolutely no tolerance for the Order's past abuses against the people of Lithmore. There will be many changes in the coming days. I urge each and every one of you to contact your priest, or even myself, over any concerns you have, or questions of theology. I am here to serve Lithmore's soul, not rule over it."

Baron Ariel le Orban nods rather firmly in response to this speech, his smile broadening. His hands fold together in his lap, the man leaning forward slightly as he listens with intent eyes.

Queen Cellan ab Samael reaches out to touch King Tobin ab Samael's hand lightly, her blue eyes sliding towards him through thick, veiling lashes; something akin to relief might register at Kibane's words, and though her smile is faint, a touch of approval is laced through it. Something in her demeanour changes, as well, especially when the big dog is led from the room.

There is the slightest impression of surprise on King Tobin ab Samael's stony face, one of the first indications of the man's thought since he arrived in the Church. Nodding slightly, he remains erect, posture ramrod straight. This may be, in part, so as not to mar the wood of the pews with the sharp steel around his torso. [King Tobin ab Samael]

Grand Inquisitor Florense ab Flewelling remains like a tall, slightly menacing statue next to Kibane, though her own posture does relax a touch at his soliloquy, a flicker of dim approval crossing her scarred face. She hardly blinks, keeping an eye on Kibane, and all of the people around him intently.

Kibane gives a small smile over the crowd, "King Dav was a man of the military, of faith in the Lord, and of family. These are the virtues we should all strive towards. Discipline, in our own lives and in those below us in station. Discipline does not mean without compassion, however, for no one can say Dav was not a compassionate king. The Lord of the Springs is a compassionate god, as well, and in serving him, we must remember this. Discipline with compassion and understanding, attempting to guide those below us to the proper path. We, the people of Lithmore, are a family, with the Lord as our father, and each station the elder sibling of the one below it. A father does not chastise a child out of hate, or sadism, but out of love and desire to help bring that child to a productive adulthood. This love is what the Order has often forgotten in the past. Dav's words and laws are a thing of discipline out of love for his fellow man."

Kibane motions subtly as he can towards a nearby acolyte, who then retrieves the filled chalice and moves to start passing it along. "That is both this evening's announcement and lesson from Dav's life. Now each of you drink from the Lord's chalice and recite Dav's declarations, as he has instructed."

Baron Ariel le Orban keeps nodding along, his focus almost unblinkingly fixed on Kibane. At the last words he sits back, expression relaxing into a more thoughtful cast.

A young boy, with short black hair, and green eyes folds his hands on his lap, a hint of a smile forms on his lips.

Kibane waits until the chalice is emptied and the recitations are finished, then he offers a small smile. "And now, the dialogue. Anyone present is now able to address the entire congregation with any noncommercial concerns or direct questions towards any members of the Order or Nobility present. I'm aware there is a lot going on in the city, so I will ask that you keep this to either brief concerns, or concerns that affect the whole of the city."

Grand Inquisitor Florense ab Flewelling still hovers, silent, waiting for orders, and perhaps watching the crowd to see if anyone addresses her personage. Her eyes briefly settle on Queen Cellan ab Samael, taking in the woman very briefly with a vaguely concerned look drifting across her features.

Baron Ariel le Orban glances around the room, eyes roving, before he moves to stand with a gentle clearing of his throat. "I've a question for the Order itself, Your Holiness..."

Kibane nods towards Baron Ariel le Orban, "Of course. Baron le Orban, correct? Speak your mind."

A young boy, with short black hair, and green eyes tilts his head to the side slightly, his eyes set on Baron Ariel le Orban.

Queen Cellan ab Samael sits in the pew beside King Tobin ab Samael, her blue eyes fixed upon a place just ahead of her. She remains silent and doesn't look in the least bit concerned, though her slightly wearied features are turned upon Baron Ariel le Orban when he speaks.

"Aye, Your Holiness, of Savir." Baron Ariel le Orban inclines his head momentarily. "I know that everyone in the Church is quite busy at the moment, what with the unrest - and of course the massive recovery effort following the flood. In regards to that, I had sent several letters prior to your arrival, discussing the sad state of the Southside. While the Crown is moving forward with plans for long-term reconstruction, short-term efforts are badly in need of addition funding and help, and I wonder if the Order might see fit to make that a priority...?" [Baron Ariel le Orban]

Grand Inquisitor Florense ab Flewelling takes a few steps to whisper something into Kibane's ear softly.

A young boy, with short black hair, and green eyes reaches up and scratches the back of his neck, head tilted in curiosity.

Kibane leans over to listen to Grand Inquisitor Florense ab Flewelling, pursing his lips a few moments before giving a nod. "If those in charge of southside reconstruction, both short and long term, could send us a list of what needs done and how much it will cost, the Order is prepared to open its coffers to a sum of at least a hundred gold pieces for the reconstruction of south side. If more is needed, I will contribute my own personal funds. As I understand, it was hit harder than most of the city, due to the poorer construction." He pauses, then nods, "Anything else need addressed immediately?"

"Thank you very much, Your Holiness. Long-term affairs, we aren't yet prepared to give you a list; a short-term list, however, will be on your desk very shortly." Baron Ariel le Orban bows his head deeply. "There is another matter I would wish to discuss with you, relating to the Church itself, but I think it best handled in private." [Baron Ariel le Orban]

Kibane gives a nod towards Baron Ariel le Orban, "Are there any other concerns? If not, the Grand Inquisitor shall now accept tithes and you are all released to your evening."

Grand Inquisitor Florense ab Flewelling flicks her eyes over to Kibane very briefly, perhaps denoting surprise, but she says nothing, clasping her hands in front of her long torso, and waiting for people to approach her.

Baron Ariel le Orban doesn't seem to have any further questions; he reaches down to his beltpouch, quietly counting out coin.

A young woman with dark chocolate hair makes a soft hmm sound as she looks about the church following Baron Ariel le Orban's question and response from the Cardinal. Absently she smooths a trailing skirt of dark colored silk, with lace petticoats about her legs.

Queen Cellan ab Samael glances up towards King Tobin ab Samael, waiting to take the lead from him. She remains seated, and by his side.

Kibane starts to step down from the altar area after waiting for any replies, moving in the general direction of Baron Ariel le Orban and the others, though he waits for any tithes to be given before speaking.

• Information