Mundane Weapons & Tactics of the Desertmen

Post logs, pictures, poetry and more. (Please request the permission of others before posting logs about their characters. Thank you!)

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Wolfie

Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:52 pm

This is a draft pending imm review before in-game publishing. This is what happens when I read a lore-related book over the weekend.

As those of my acquaintance will recall, I cut my teeth in medical philosophy through the hard and varied school of the Marchs. Physic and its practice has been my call since before I came of age. It is, however, only the introducing factor to the field upon which I shall hereafter discourse.

Mundane Weaponry & Tactics

To speak of the Darav in war, to many, is to speak of harrowing steel and magic; the principle imagery of the Consolidation replayed and sustained in distant lands. As an agent of health to many and known by some as a learned man, I turn the assaying eye to what portions of this conflict that I may explain through the reasoning eye of physical philosophy. What follows is primarily born of my first hand accounts of Daravi artifice; the craft not born of magic, but of a reasoning man. This treatise is dedicated to all of those that have given or will give their lives in the conflict of the South. Lord save our honored dead, Dav lead our valiant fight.

Bear in mind that I do not wish to justify or give honor to the ingenuity of the heathen but to instead understand and in doing so adapt their unintentional lessons for the benefit of the kingdom. So at first, I will begin with discourse upon a favorite and common weapon of the desert men – poison.

Poison

Poison in medicine is any thing derived from living or unliving matter that wounds or unbalances far beyond its proportion when introduced into a body not its own. In the world of animals, it is oft derived from the insect, the snake and the frog. Rare is it that an animal of fur or warm breath contains such a thing. In the world of plants, such things may be born of hemlock or nightshade. Dark and bitter plants, usually of fierce odor. In terms of physic, the destructive nature of these things lies in their abundance of the so-called chthonic elements – water and earth. To the physician, we know these as phlegm and black bile. In opposition to the sublime or light elements – fire and air – these are heavy and cold, the very essence of death.

In truth, due to the nature of the body, any substance, even of benefit, may cause pain and death. For example, pulped mandrake left to its devices in a jar of water will create a concentrate capable of stopping a man’s heart and breath as if in sleep. Though commonly used during surgeries to smother the wit and awareness of pain, a great quantity consumed in such a way results in an unending sleep.

The Daravi, however, are less than subtle when it comes to battlefield poisons. In the field, it is common for enemy arrows to be impregnated with the poisons of the lower creatures. Their mechanism, from what I have derived, is similar to a salve in all but purpose. The wounding venom is mixed well with fat, though too much heat would render the venom impotent. In the desert environ, it seems as if the heat of the sun would be enough to liquefy the fat and allow the introduction of the poison. The heads of the arrows, if not their shafts, are grooved in such a way to take the thick substance and carry it into the wounds that they open.

Where does one come about the vile? It exists in ready supply in the desert. Both the viper of the sands and the black scorpions of the desert keep their own pouches of poison like ready assassins. Each, as is known, are readily capable of crippling a man in hours a with death nearby. Its acquisition is a business that requires skilled hands, keen eyes and the proper tools. The Vavardian field surgeon Dupierre (315SC) wrote in his treatise on the cold blooded animalia that their weapons might and should be harvested for study so that ‘greater men might craft panacea against the lesser use of such vile fluid’. In so much as both of these creatures are not men, I will hereafter outline how poison is acquired from them.

For the snake, an animal very close to the earth, the root of their venom lies at the base of the long teeth that are seen to be light and hollow like the bone of a bird. Unlike previous understanding, it is now known that the blood of the snake is not itself the poison. I have run tests myself in which a snake was bled from the head and body and the resulting fluid poured over frogs. Though as base creatures as these are, frogs are known for their thin skins and disposition toward slight changes in water. Had the blood itself been poisoned, the frogs would have died.

Extraction is quite possible of these glands, but excludes the continual ‘milking’ of the living animal, which is undoubtedly the method the Daravi employ. By forcing the snake to bite an animal skin stretched over the mouth of some vessel, the poison may be brought forth. The animal, yet living, is able to replenish this stock as a man may gain more blood after he is wounded – through the consumption of food and the incorporation of its essence.

Injuries from this snake venom are usually accompanied with swelling and change in color of the effected flesh. Pain is intense and immediate, accompanied with weakness and fever. The violent imbalance of the humours will also lead to nausea, vomiting and loss of vision. In higher concentration, the flesh around the wound will begin to rot with unnatural speed and smell in the same way as festering skin. The closer the wound to the heart and the warmer the day, the faster the poison will kill.

The scorpion, in similar fashion, contains its poison within itself, near the base of the stinger in the grape-like joint of its tail. It is far more difficult to induce a scorpion to give it freely, and from what I gleaned from Dupierre’s work in the study of toxic substance (an art gleaned from his time in Vavardi courts) the end of the tail is severed at the joint and simply smashed after the stinger is removed. What ever blood and water issues from this is mixed gently with similar issuances from other stingers. I have been told in correspondence with Dupierre that he has spoken with traders that describe the technique of capturing scorpions by burying a pot beneath the ground so that its mouth is level with the sand and then placing a stone above it with enough room to allow the passage of smaller creatures.

Injuries from this venom are only subtly different. Scorpion venom is less potent, perhaps in proportion to the animal’s size. It is difficult to tell when an arrow wound is involved, but in the case of the venom being introduced by the scorpion itself, there is very little swelling at the sight but rather an intense pain similar to burning. After a small amount of time, the subjects muscle may begin to twitch as if they are being stung again near the original wound. This illusion may lead to panic on top of the pain of injury, causing the patient’s heart to beat faster and hurry the poison along its course.

It is this beast of the desert floor that is weaponized into the fearful device known as the scorpion bomb. From the pieces that I recovered from the lines via returning soldiers, these weapons are little more than clay pots or wicker baskets weighted with stones. Their lids are covered with paper waxed into place or in the case of the pot lids, pitched and sealed. Filled to the brim with the black scorpions, these devices are cast over walls by being thrown by men or small stone throwers. Upon breaking, the scorpions are free to crawl away and sew discord among our camps. Though not the most subtle weapon, the distraction value is immense as the scorpions, once landed, will spread in numerous directions and proceed without sound into dark, cool recesses. Most likely, these are the tents of the men, and from my experience, they seem to be driven toward the smell of the medic tent.

As mentioned before in Dupierre’s work, there has been brief hint towards a treatment. In old traditions, there is always the notion of working forces against each other. Demonic forces are exercised through the intercession of the divine, for example. In the case of poison, it is sometimes impossible to leech the wound fast enough to prevent its spread. In desperate times, as is the case with some viper poisons, it has been shown that the introduction of another type of poison into the system will neutralize the effects. A single dose, introduced into the rivers of the body known as veins, may save the life.

In support of Dupierre, I have spoken with some higher members of society that often take small amounts of poison in their meals as administered by a trusted apothecary or family doctor in order to build up an immunity in case of an attempted assassination. Likewise, I have known rivermen in the hamlets of the kingdom that have survived a snakebite or similar sting and are known to have some defense against later attacks. Through observation, it seems as if the venom stays in the body as weakness from its imbalancing issues must be dealt with for the remainder of the patient’s life. However, the venom seems to change and become a part of the person as I have done similar tests as mentioned before with the location of the snake’s venom. Blood samples taken from the envenomed were administered to frogs and the animals likewise did not die in a manner that would indicate that the venom was still present in its original form.

It is that point that I should mention that at first glance or to an untrained eye, the effects of venom can and will be seen as the work of the supernatural. Demonic possession or the curse of devils, especially among those of poorly grounded faith. But to a medical philosopher, there is a clear cause for these afflictions located in the wound or sting. However, I will point out, that the effects of some venom can turn men into twitching, drooling fiends that howl in pain as they are wracked by some convulsive, invisible fire. I do not know the cause of this difference, but I fear that the sorcerers among the Darav may indeed corrupt the venom further, infecting both body and soul. Further tests are required, though I leave that field to the expertise of our inquisitors.

Finally, in terms of field treatment, it should be clear that these weapons are terrible. Though not as powerful as some of the later weapons that we will discuss here, the addition of venom is a very serious concern to field commanders and their soldiers. In the case of the poisoned arrow, it can be said that their distance is limited by the weight of their load as compared to unburdened arrows, but they are near guaranteed kills with a bare scratch providing entry for the poison. The treatment procedure is also complicated twofold. The arrowhead, if still embedded, needs to be removed with arrow spoons before poison treatment can begin. Blood flow is natural at this point, as the spoons require a larger point of entry than the arrowhead itself. The bleeding helps remove the poison, but the pain will also cause the injured to panic, raising the heart beat and potentially pumping the poison straight into the heart.

There are several schools of thought on treating the poison, as mentioned above, a last resort would be to administer other poison. However, before such, one can leech the poison out by drawing it out with the mouth, which is not recommended for a field surgeon as the poison may be imbibed in this fashion. It is recommended to apply a field dressing and tie it several inches along the limb toward the heart to constrict the flow of blood to prevent the patient from bleeding out entirely. Once this is done, a leeching poultice should be applied over the wound to promote local blood flow and bring the poison to the surface. In the past, I have started with a base of beeswax or clean fat and then compound alcohol and calendula along with powder of the schist stone. These things in concert can be smeared over the wound to incite the flow of bad blood. This is the best case scenario for treatment. Battlefield triage may not allow such dedicated attention between soldiers. It is said by some of the Farin traders that placing a rope around the tent or sleeping roll will prevent a snake from interrupting rest as the low animals will never cross it. This is lore and not confirmed.

As for the scorpion bomb, the effects are less in terms of numbers of deaths, but both of these are deadly against morale. Treatment for scorpion stings is usually a plaster of dried willowbark if out of combat conditions. These injuries, unless the stings are numerous, are not considered priority. To my knowledge, there are no proven ways of repelling scorpions from encampments or fortifications. Piles of debris or building materials should be placed away from the main portion of the camp as this are natural homes for the ground dwellers. In final note, it is said that strong alcohol placed in a ring upon the ground around a tent will function in a similar fashion to the rope. There is some truth to this, as I have poured alcohol upon a scorpion and it was incited to sting itself to death. The reason for this is presently unknown.

Disease

Great commanders, in the tradition of St. Aelwyn and Dav himself, know that the outcome of battles are determined not simply by numbers but also by the availability of water, the freedom from disease, disposition of troops, familiarity of ground and the abundance of supplies. While only time allows the soldiers of the Kingdom to overcome the alien nature of the sands, the Daravi are known to attack on the other fronts of disease and water. These are born in great relation as one is often gained from the other. In truth, an army, left on its own in the field may also poison their own water supply.

Those familiar with the rivers near Lithmore, or any major city in the kingdom, will be aware of what a large amount of men can do to a river without intent. Waste and byproduct of life are washed out of the streets and left in the river to be lost in the extent of the Kirulean. Just like a small city, an encampment in the field requires water. Unless it can be found locally – an unlikelihood in the desert – it must be carried. Water casks require roads if wagons will transport them or sturdier donkeys to carry them individually. The camel or desert horse is a beast that seems to carry water with it in the humps upon its back, but alas, these can not be tapped like the casks.

If water can not be carried in, then water must be found. In the open desert, there is the occasional oasis, but these are often heavily guarded by both animal and man. If any dead animals are observed around the water, it is best to continue moving. The water may have killed the animals, or at the very least, the fetid carcass may impart its corruption to the water. If an oasis can not be found, then a well must be dug, requiring sappers and a great amount of time. According to local lore, it is best to begin digging a well at the base of the palm tree or more exotic baobab as the roots point to water far below the ground. It may take more than a Farin man’s height of depth before free water can be found.

Once water is located, it must be guarded jealously. As mentioned before, the Daravi – though bound by their own alien code of honor – are not above a ‘tactical’ victory by destroying, usurping or poisoning our water supplies. Common tactics involved include throwing dead animals into the supply, or worse, as I have seen, plague dead.

As with all dead, slain by the enemy or disease, the bodies should be removed from the encampment and soldiers as quickly as possible to prevent spread of corruption. A single body in a water supply can potentially strike down the entire camp that depends on said water. If possible, the dead should be placed into a covered area until their remains can be transported home. In terms of medical philosophy, after death the corporeal body has no soul or breath to bear it up and thus it turns to corruption – an amalgam of earth and water. Sun and heat accelerate this process, rapidly causing the body to smell foul as its organs and conduits degrade into their fundamental parts. These, being bereft of soul and breath, are the essence of disease and should be kept as far from men as possible. As to not dishonor their bodies, it is best to cover them with some manner of canvas and then put a layer of sand or dirt over them to keep the smell down. Their presence, out of sight, will decrease their decay as well as preserve some morale. Though soldiers are hardened against the sight, the fallen always work upon the soul to some degree.

Fire

It is now that we move to one of the most iconic weapons of the South – flame. Though, as I said before, I will stray away from the domain of the Church and suggest that some of the flame is in fact a product of human ingenuity and not magic. I have first hand proof of this account, having observed the aftermath on some battle fields and the remains of what are known as ‘fire pots’. It is rare that these devices are ever captured as the Daravi destroy any before they are overrun, so much of what follows is merely surmise.

Occasionally thrown by special infantry or larger versions lobbed from the same stone throwers as the scorpion bombs, these devices are well-known for the awe and terror that they inspire in our men. Accounts by soldiers describe them as shattering upon the ground and fire traveling along the ground as if it were water. I spoke with a man in one of my field hospitals, burned upon his face and missing a large potion of his hair, that his comrades were killed not from the initial hellish gout of flame or the fetid black smoke but what resulted when they tried to douse the fire with water. The fire not only did not die but instead spread along the ground with the water, washing over the legs of nearby men and quickly covering their bodies.

These supernatural displays sew terror into men quickly, as well as debilitating them with flame. Having interviewed many soldiers that have seen this phenomena, I have vowed to find the mechanism for its creation and use. After observing the remains of a battlefield on the march, I came across numerous blackened ceramic fragments amidst the flower-like scorch marks that the fire pots create on impact with the sand or stone. The heat was so intense in the center of the impact that the very sand was fused into larger, black particles of crude glass. It is little wonder that, mixed in with the war mages of the Darav, that these devices have been lost and dismissed as being a part of their magical arsenal.

The hint of artifice smacked me when I saw the fragments of the clay pots amidst the char. This device, designed to shatter upon impact, carried with it some matter that took to flame and was thence unquenchable by anything but time. Survivors have spoken of smaller flames upon these devices while they were in flight, providing precious little warning. To this end, I surmised that the content required an existing flame to create its devious effect and was not some miraculous matter or demonic beast that acted upon will.

To determine what this matter was, I looked to the pre-existing items that were known to burn with such ferocity. Oil came to mind readily as a burning liquid. Oil, extracted from the boiled down fat of animals or lesser oils such as that pressed from the rind of the olive, is what drives our lanterns. Oil may also be turned into black pitch, though this is derived commonly from the rare occurrences of ground oil which contains its own mythical properties as the very blood of the earth. All of these, to one extent or another, burn at a steady rate if controlled by a wick, creating a smoking yellow-red flame. This is the most likely, though common oils available on Davite soil do not seem to contain the proper heat and volatility as what is used here.

Another possible culprit is the rock known as brimstone, occasionally found in the earth as a yellow colored deposit. It has a strong, suffocating smell and in powdered form burns readily in a ghostly, blue-tinged flame. It can be melted at a high temperature, turning from yellow to the exotic color of ruby or blood. In medicine, it can be compounded into salves or plasters for the treatment of afflictions of the skin. The flame that this element creates is not consistent with what witnesses have described.

Lastly, I have suggested to my colleagues the rare element of ether as a culprit. Ether is commonly known as the rarified element that composes the stars and sun, being born of the upward sublimation of the fire and air. A close approximation can be derived from water and grain, as is seen in the brewers art. By removing as much water as possible from alcoholic compositions such as rum or wine, one approaches a purity of essence that is as volatile and ethereal as any substance known. The process, known as distillation, walks through all of the elements to achieve the last and most rare. Transformation occurs from water and earth-born grains through the application of fire to help release this essence. Through a catch-device taken from the whiskey makers involving cold water pipes to extract the essence from the air, the mass quantities of rude grain are extracted until their vital essence is made apparent. This element would require containment from strong glass and its kin, air, as it would readily sublimate to nothing if any quantity were exposed.

Imagine, if you like, the fire one can produce with a single stick of wood. Now, imagine, by proportion, the fire and heat one can produce with an entire tree. Such is the way with ether. To a military mind or one remotely acquainted with the practice of war, the implications of using the same element as the stars is apparent. I would suggest that a device similar to the fire pot might be crafted. With the sand imported from Farin to craft glass vials and the necessary distilleries constructed in the surrounding countryside, some measure of our yearly yield of grains could be dedicated to the creation of like weapons.

It is unfortunate, however, that in spite of my experience and research into these diabolical weapons that I have found no sure way of countering them short of sabotage on Daravi soil. In light of these research points taken together, I would surmise that – all things being equal – it is possible that they utilize a distillation of oil that magnifies its properties in the manner described with grain. While the essence of grain is flammability to an outrageous degree, I would logically conclude that a distillation of oil would be likewise proportionately volatile and rival anything yet seen in warfare.

Fear

In summary, I would suggest that our greatest deterrent in the face of this enemy is the biting fear of the alien and the artifice that they utilize. The enemy is on their own ground and utilizes demonic powers right along with clever manipulations of physical philosophy. Amidst magic, we may fight with faith. Against artifice, we too must meet it with our own advancements, fighting venom with venom in our desperate times. We are men of honor and valor fighting against men with ways that are not our own. These are men that throw fire upon us, slay us, hurl our dead upon us, poison us and prey on our minds as our bodies. We have the tools before us, lord given, to counter this threat and see it ended. Our talents, our faith, our reason and diversity of blood and knowledge compose an entity far greater than its parts.

I present this document as an attempt to rationalize at least a small part of their arsenal to the powers that be and, with some small hope, degrading the fearful picture in the mind of the common man as well as the common soldier. This information is presented to the learned mind of those men and women that would command in the field, or possess the ability to direct the course of war through administration or noble position.

R.d.A, SC352

Lei
Discord Handle: Lei#3876

Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:33 am

Always love your stuff, Wolfie. :)
Old As Dirt

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:37 pm

Loved it. Definitely approved for use. A few misswd words like "sight" for "sight", but still awesome. :)

• Information