[Poll] Pvents

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Pvents are...

Poll ended at Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:17 pm

Great, I really like them!
67%
Okay, but could use some work - tweaks suggested below
25%
Bad, it was a nice idea, but really, the benefits don't outweigh the negatives
8%

Total votes: 12
Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:17 pm

Due to some general player complaining during the OOC Chat, I wanted to check out how people across the pbase feel about pvents.

Note: There is a change already on the board to remove pvents from the default prompt, so please consider that change when voting.

Leech

Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:07 am

Personally, I love them! Have yet to read other people's opinions about them, but I think it's a great optional system that allows people to really stretch their character, making them do things they perhaps otherwise wouldn't do. Half the time I'm pretty sure people play their characters as apathetic nobodies just because they don't want to incite anything, be it love, hate, strife, wealth, etc. If they have to step on somebody's toes or reveal something about their character (because frak revealing secrets about our characters man, that doesn't benefit us at all) they won't do it.

Pvents, I think, give people incentives to do what they already should be doing. Which is actually RPing and affecting the world, rather than being too afraid to. The line, for me, goes proactive > reactive > apathetic.

Too many people choose apathetic because it's the safe and cool thing to do. I hate it.
Player of: Alexander ab Courtland

Dice

Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:25 am

It's possible that with some tweaks I would find pvents enjoyable, but the current implementation has actually made me frustrated on occasion after occasion.

Most of the time I get a pvent prompt when I'm online but not seeing RP, and that's annoying because it feels like a lost opportunity - if I'm not going to RP, I'm not going to RP. I'm probably doing work, or multi-tasking, etc.

That annoyance is furthered because the vast majority of pvents that have made it into the system don't provide a lot of fodder. Pvents that make you do something are good - pvents that reflect actual events that would spur RP. But in the rush to pad out the system, we've gotten so many pvents that are honestly pure junk. Pvents that say "You feel pretty today!" or the like are off-putting and don't spur RP. I know we've been told to 1) submit more that we'd like to see and 2) just reject the ones we don't like, but the problem is that at least half of the ones I've gotten are not good RP fodder for me. There's no way I could submit enough to 'dilute' out the ones I don't like.

So, for me, for pvents to be a system that aided RP instead of frustrating me:

1) Go through the list with a fine-toothed comb, erase the ones that don't actively spur RP. Fewer but better quality pvents is better. Really evaluate everybody's suggestions instead of using them all and make it clear pvents need to be based on EVENTS, not just feelings.
2) Allow us to request one when we want one instead of randomly awarding it to us. This can still be limited to once a week. Alternatively, make it a toggle - some people can go random, some people can request.
3) If these two things don't happen, adding a toggle so people could just turn pvents off entirely would be nice.

Kinaed

Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:48 pm

The pvent toggle bit is already on the docket.

How do people (besides Dice - though I'm not trying to minimize your opinion, just trying to see if it's particular to you) feel about feeling-based pvents?

Leech

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:57 am

I haven't played with it enough to agree or disagree. I do think that there are a few that are a bit shallow, but in an optional system I'm not keen to raise a fuss about it.
Player of: Alexander ab Courtland

Cellan

Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:04 am

Not a fan of the "feelings-based" pvents either, if I'm being honest. I got one the other day that read, "Shaylei is feeling flirty, flirty, flirty!", and didn't really know how it could immediately stir RP.

My major issue with the system, though, is that sometimes I'm not RPing because there's no one else online or available on the whereis list. Being able to delay an event, or request one for QP would probably make it easier for me to use the system :).

Edit: I'd like to add, though, that I absolutely -love- the system and what it represents. I've used it very successfully a few times, and am really glad that we now have it. With a few tweaks to some of the less workable pvents, I think it will be even more awesome. Good job!

Geras

Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:34 am

Honestly haven't bothered to use it yet. I assume there's a way to disable the spam? Dice's concerns seem persuasive to me.

Inertia

Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:58 pm

I also find that a lot of the options don't inspire me to hunt down RP or don't, as written, strike me as particularly appropriate to factor into scenes I've already got going. The solution to that has already been discussed and I think it'll likely fix itself given enough time and player effort to fill out the options.

I've made the suggestion on another thread that it would be nice to delay accepting pvent offers that you really like since they often seem to pop up when the who list is empty. I don't think it makes or breaks the system, really, but it seems highly beneficial in my mind.

Also, maybe a five minute warning that the pvent on offer is about to expire would be nice if you're still within that hour grace period but you're trying to finish up crafting or whatnot?

Kinaed

Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:13 am

We can put in the 5 minute warning.

I'd also like to be able to get pvents voted up or down for quality so that we can weed out bad ones, but we'll have to modify the system for that.

• Information