The future of the Physicians

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Zeita

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:12 pm

Herbalism at a high rank (mid to high 50s) is most assuredly used in a number of chandlery products; mostly in creating ingredients for the soaps, lotions and perfumes.

I'm pretty comfortable with both skills becoming non-guild skills, although we'd probably see more of the 'every man a doctor' situation, but it is probably unavoidable. There is no other guild it would fit comfortably in.

Cellan

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:57 am

I'd say that the Reeves and Knights would be places for the Physicians-- they must have their own (IC) teams of physicians as they are currently, in their accident-prone line of work? You're right though, Hera-- even that idea doesn't fit so naturally with me.

Nor does the "every man a doctor" potential side-effect. Quanin's very right: the more complex stuff SHOULD be the preserve of trained doctors, and very often I find that I lose out on medical RP (for which I always attend if online and summoned via messenger) because other non-doctor characters jump in and fix it. In a way, it's the reason why I've filled my time with other crafting pursuits; as it is, playing a doctor-type character as Shaylei is does not keep me occupied enough on a day-to-day basis.

Zeita

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:12 am

Perhaps- and I expect that this probably won't be popular- but one could purchase a physician 'trait' for an additional xp cost, to avoid the everyman thing? This would unlock the skill beyond lower rankings without needing a guild, but at a preferably high enough cost to discourage one picking it up on a whim? If we combine it with a tweak to just what one can do at particular levels, it may work well?

You could use similar traits for other things, I'm sure, to indicate particular sorts of backgrounds and potentially unlock otherwise closed guildskills and the like.

Dice

Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:48 am

Hmm. Well. Maybe what we need is both to have the guild disbanded (to fix some problems) AND medicine revamped (to fix others). Right now there's no reason you can't treat any wound whatsoever with a rank 36, given only patience and willing to spend a little more for the failures. Fixing that aspect only won't do anything to fix the general lack of medical RP since meaningful injuries are still pretty scarce, but disbanding the guild only won't necessarily do anything either to fix the 'every man's a doctor' problem either. So how about both?

Just some off the cuff thoughts: I'd love it if medicine worked more like a craft than the way it does now. That is to say, instead of just vague 'wound, serious wound', etc. markers, we got specific wounds that each required different supplies.

So for bash damage, you might have bruises which require leeches, serious bruises which require more leeches, broken bones which require splints and waxed bandages, all the way up to crushing damage which might require maggots to eat dead flesh, etc. And all of these things could perhaps heal very slowly on their own, a little less slowly with basic treatment any skill doctor could provide, or noticeably less slowly if a skilled doctor did the actually correct treatment.

Perhaps this is too finicky (and it's kind of an offhand suggestion), but I'd like it because it would make damage and injury seem much more real, and it would also make the medical theme very clear - you'd know, just by learning the system, what was used to do what.

Leech

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:36 pm

Haven't read all of this, but I like the idea of disbanding the Physicians, having them be a non-code represented guild (scholars, Masque), and then enforcing licensure + penalties for acting without a license. Might work with the Reeves to make a standard (RP) test that physicians have to pass - modern idea, yes, but you can make it completely medieval.

Profit off license taxes, provide the world with people willing to RP their medical procedures, and at the same time retain some semblance of a unified organization!
Player of: Alexander ab Courtland

Geras

Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:57 pm

It would be a lot simpler if there was a degree of code support for organizations below the guild level.

Do the physicians really always have to be full though? We keep going back and forth on them.

Zeita

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:46 pm

One point that was mentioned to me by someone without a forum account, that I thought bore reposting is as follows:

If we do remove the physicians guild, how does one go about finding a doctor in an emergency with no guild as a whole to contact?

In terms of overall personal preference it would be to make in-guild physicians more viable (reducing the efficacy of rank 36 in the skill perhaps, or some of the other means suggested elsewhere in the thread.) rather than getting rid of the guild.

Dice

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:59 pm

I would think you'd put a board in Madison Hospital where active doctors would advertise their skills, be on open call, so it'd probably be pretty easy to compare that board to the who list and message away.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:28 am

It bothers me a bit to see a guild leader (I mean no offense, Shaylei, it's just a general concern) in favor of shutting down their guild.

Staff are happy to work with the Physicians to make their role more relevant, but I'd prefer not to remove the guild at this time.

I do see some genuine issues in this thread, but I think the answer may be in changing some skill structures, etc, rather than dissolving the guild.

Cellan

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:46 am

No offence taken at all, Kinaed! I think I should perhaps clarify my own stance, since I admittedly didn't articulate myself very well in my initial post:

It isn't that I'm absolutely in favour of shutting down my guild; that wasn't the intention of the board post. I have been noticing some serious issues with our relevance in the game, though, and the amount of work we're able to get/purpose we're able to have. At the moment, we have only two characters who are regularly active and actively contributing to the guild. For me, that's a bad sign, especially with the volume of other (non-guilded) characters who are operating in the city as healers.

As a guild leader, it's very concerning for me to see our primary duty in-game being overtaken by anyone with a basic coded knowledge in medicine. I'd like to find some sort of system, at least, in which I can maintain the relevance and importance of the guild in an IC sense. I think (at least, I hope!) that it's my responsibility, not only as a GL, but one of the only characters in-game playing a dedicated doctor type to raise these issues and strive to make it more viable for my members to have a more fulfilling experience in-game.
Last edited by Cellan on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Information