Log of OOC Meeting 9/20/2014

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:27 pm

Kinaed questions, "We're running a bit late, so let's jump right in. Today's Agenda is:

- Staff Updates
- Player Heartbeat
- Player Topics

Does anyone want to add to the agenda to make sure we speak about anything today?"

Rain says, "I'd like to add a request for help with story hooks."

Kinaed queries to Rain, "Want to introduce that now?"

Azarial says, "I don;t see noah. there was some talk on balancing charcoal costs, and parhas mining on the emrchant channe."

Rain claims, "Sure! I just added a forum post for it. I'd like help from the pbase figuring out what interests players and PCs - like, what motivates people to join an ST or attend an event."

Kinaed says to Azarial, "I think Noah was AFK when I put through the invite. Checking my history."

Azarial says, "Ahh. heh. five spaces over and the vgrep misses it completel."

Nedyra claims to Azarial, "That's always the way."

Kinaed says, "I sent him another tell, I can't find it in a quick scan."

Tomas states to Rain, "I just tend to jump right into most stories when they happen. Well every one I've been around for so far."

Karrina states, "I was the one who brought up mining in the merchant channel earlier."

Kinaed wonders to Rain, "What is the forum post address?"

Kinaed nods at Karrina.

Rain muses, "/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=886&p=5531#p5531"

Kinaed asks of Karrina, "Did you want to discuss that here?"

Kinaed claims to Rain, "Thanks. :)"

Kinaed states to Rain, "I'll respond to your forum post after the meeting."

Rain exclaims, "Thanks!"

Karrina nods at Kinaed.

Kinaed states to Karrina, "Okay, adding that to the agenda."

Kinaed muses, "Okay anyone else have anything they want to bring up and chat about?"

Kinaed says, "If, not, I'll kick off my updates. :) Last week, I met with the staff to discuss some ideas that came out of meeting up with a player on Skype. This next week is probably going to be planning those in detail with the staff as a whole."

Kinaed states, "And some idea gathering from you guys."

Kinaed states, "... and I also worked a bit on ranged combat, but it's still not done, please don't hate me."

Kinaed trails off, "I also hired a new staff member..."

Kinaed makes a grand introductory gesture to Xinoe.

Karrina waves to Xinoe.

Aios highfives Xinoe.

Xinoe waves.

Karrina trails off to Xinoe, "There is something special about you..."

Xinoe pontificates to Karrina, "I get that a lot!"

Nedyra states, "She's so new she's still got little pieces of packaging here and there."

Xinoe spits out a popcorn peanut.

Samantha narrows eyes

Zeita says, "Welcome Xinoe. :)"

Xinoe pontificates to Zeita, "Thank you!"

Karrina states, "Well she is speaking Vavard, so she should have all the male Vavardis 'unwrap' her."

Tomas states, "Welcome"

Zeita muses, "Do we pronounce it Zinn-o?"

Kinaed states, "Xinoe will introduce herself in a few minutes, but basically I kept dumping non-building work onto Nedyra, and Nedyra turns out to have superb WordPress skills, so... I've sort of shuffled him toward a web master role, which has left him with more job and the same amount of time. Xinoe's here to take over the building work Nedyra handles."

Xinoe states, "Zinn oh ee. Like the ending of Chloe."

Terryn gets the unwrapping shoes.

Zeita declares, "Nice! *settles back onto her beach chair*"

Nedyra says, "I'll still be handling building things, but if Kinaed drowns me in work I'll just throw you at Xinoe and wait for her to implode."

Nedyra nods.

Kinaed exclaims, "Alrighty-then, that's me. Az, you're up!"

Azarial says, "More bugs. some features."

Azarial states, "Unnaounced, because ned is busy and the news file hates me."

Kinaed says, "He's being a bit modest there, but yes - pmoods are in. Has anyone played with that? Pvents should be fixed too, we found out they weren't firing."

Azarial claims, "I had the math backwards."

Kinaed says, "Xin will be helping keep the news files up to date. *cough*"

Nedyra considers being insulted. Decides against it. For now.

Azarial claims, "I figure we'll just toss her in the typo-mine and drop some rations form time to time."

Terryn has thought about using pmoods, but didn't know how it should look or what it would contain.

Kinaed comforts Xinoe.

Samantha read the helpfile on pmoods and still doesn't understand what they are. "I would rather not toy with something I don't understand."

Azarial claims, "It;s mostly for temporary mods that don;t need a total desc rewrite"

Kinaed claims to Xinoe, "Gourmet rations."

Kinaed has transferred Lakali. [OOC]

Terryn questions to Azarial, "You guys have started handing them rations?"

Nedyra gives a simple cloth cardinal doll with a flowing linen robe to Lakali.

Azarial says, "They start with two."

Aios has gone IAW.

Nedyra trails off to Terryn, "That's new. I kept stealing them anyway, so..."

Zeita states to Samantha, "Like if you're having a bad hair day or your clothes are muddy or the like."

Azarial nods at Zeita.

Karrina queries, "Like if your character has a cast on an arm or something?"

Samantha states, "Oh, well that makes more sense"

Nedyra states to Karrina, "Exactly."

Azarial claims, "Also, when temi gets to it, some scents will be removed on using the wash commands."

Kinaed nods at Azarial.

Samantha claims, "I will likely have to be using pmoods for very soon"

Azarial says, "Added in the 'tool <obj> clone <parent>' just befpre the meeting."

Azarial states, "So that will go live ater everyone is transed."

Karrina asks, "Is that the template suggestion from the forum?"

Zeita states, "So sweet."

Azarial states to Karrina, "Iunno."

Aios declaims, "Woot!"

Azarial shrugs eloquently with more tail than shoulders.

Kinaed has transferred an average height, dark haired man. [OOC]

Nedyra gives a simple cloth cardinal doll with a flowing linen robe to an average height, dark haired man.

Azarial claims, "It should copy editable ed descs on the object, except trademarks."

Azarial claims, "Plus other strings."

Kinaed nods at Azarial.

Kinaed queries, "It'll use a given tooling player's trademark, right?"

Azarial claims, "Nope. all trademarks are applied with the trademark command."

Azarial says, "Autotrademarking was removed from tool."

Kinaed states, "Ahh, cool."

Kinaed nods at Azarial.

Kinaed asks, "Anything else to add, Az, before I move on to Ned's update?"

Azarial states, "I don;t think so, no."

Kinaed says, "Nice."

Kinaed claims to Nedyra, "You're up, gorgeous."

Nedyra claims, "Thanks, beautiful."

Kinaed preens.

Nedyra says, "I've been either busy or sick for the last week and a bit. More that second one. But junk still got done."

Nedyra claims, "Coming around the corner very shortly: guild taxation."

Nedyra states, "There was a discussion on it amongst the GL's and staff this past week. We're incorporating those changes into the policy."

Samantha groans

Zeita says, "Missed the convo."

Nedyra states, "It's still on personal board, Zei."

Zeita claims, "Oh, that one."

Nedyra nods.

Kinaed states, "I know it's hated, but we believe it's better for the game. Basically, it will be 20 silver per month. The basic rooms are as per what's on the personal board + 2 more connector rooms."

Azarial states, "It should help prevent the creeping sprawl of guildhalls."

Kinaed nods at Azarial.

Kinaed claims, "Shop taxes are the same as personal shop taxes of 15 silver per month."

Nedyra claims, "Correction: between 10-20 silver a month for phome/pshop taxes, per the help file."

Samantha asks, "Per ooc month or ic month? And 20 silver? is that a typo or are you serious 20 silver?"

Kinaed states, "OOC month."

Nedyra says to Samantha, "That's not a typo."

Kinaed states, "I'm serious, 20 silver per room over the basic free rooms."

Samantha arches brow "That seems... well affordable

Kinaed says, "It's in-line with current taxes."

Kinaed muses, "Well, yes. What were you expecting?"

Nedyra claims, "I haven't started rolling them out yet, but they're coming."

Samantha trails off, "I don't know... the horrifying 4000 silver that the order owed when testing"

Nedyra states, "One or two guild halls need a revamping first, and that's a project I'll be handling this week as well."

Nedyra trails off to Samantha, "I told you I just pulled that out of thin air. But if you want..."

Nedyra grins.

Kinaed says to Samantha, "No, Ned was just making sure it worked."

Terryn knew it wouldn't be too bad after seeing his own phome's taxes.

Zeita queries, "Is revamping open to anyone?"

Samantha missed the pulled out of thin air bit

Kinaed nods at Zeita.

Kinaed states, "All GLs may freely revamp their guildhalls in preparation for this change."

Nedyra nods.

Kinaed says, "The basic Guildhall will be free to build, etc."

Nedyra states, "They follow the usual procedures. So, request board, please."

Zeita asks, "... does that mean adding in extra rooms too for free too?"

Karrina says to Samantha, "I wonder how bad the Keep is going to be."

Kinaed states, "Anything you add above the basics ... we'll take from your existing room count."

Kinaed states, "Then at the end, we'll apply taxes."

Tomas trails off, "I'm worried about the palace quite a bit... I need to speak with Ariel..."

Kinaed says, "Taxes are 20 silver per regular room above the basics per OOC month, 15 silver per shop, same as a private citizen is charged."

Xinoe wonders, "Are public access rooms are free for guilds?"

Kinaed says to Xinoe, "Yes, they're not within the scope of this."

Samantha looks to Karrina "With that 20 silver per room... i'm guessing no more than a 600 silver at most, and considering we make over that weekly it I don't think i will be making any changes to the keep."

Xinoe trails off, "With extra words for flavor..."

Kinaed claims, "Public access areas, even if thematically owned by a guild, aren't technically guildhall."

Nedyra says, "There are still one or two corner cases I'll need to flesh out, but I'll discuss that with staff after."

Kinaed says, "We will also move Xblocks at this time for free."

Kinaed states, "I think Nov 5th is a good date to require all guilds submit any desired changes they have."

Zeita says, "That is plenty of time, yes."

Nedyra states, "Works for me if it works for the GL's."

Samantha states, "I foresee no issues with that date"

Nedyra says, "Other things happening in fairly short order: woodworking. It's been hanging out in limbo waiting for someone to handle it forever. It's got me."

Tomas claims, "I'm not even sure how much of the palace is behind xblocks, but yeah that should be enough time to figure it out."

Tomas queries to Nedyra, "Will woodcutting be altered along with woodworking?"

Karrina has lost link.
Karrina has reconnected.

Zeita trails off to Tomas, "Probably need to start charging rent for those suites..."

Nedyra states to Tomas, "That's the plan, yes."

Kinaed claims, "Okay, let's consider it done then. With regards to changing room descs, etc, I think that should all be free up to Nov 5th also. Basically, change stuff around, rebuild from scratch, whatever you want. Just get what you want to us by Nov 5th."

Nedyra states, "Merchant types, particularly anyone who has anything to do with woodworking, I'll want to see you."

Kinaed says, "I'll get Ned to update the taxes help file with the list of what is free today so you can use to in your considerations."

Kinaed states, "It's also fine to just write us and say 'no changes, we're happy to accept the taxes'."

Karrina asks of Nedyra, "Can I be part of that since I used to be a woodworker?"

Nedyra states to Karrina, "You can be part of that because you're in the merchants guild. That you used to be a woodworker is a bonus."

Karrina nods at Nedyra.

Karrina sits down and rests.

Nedyra says, "Please circulate that to anyone you know is into this who isn't presently here."

Kinaed asks, "Okay, I think that covers off guild taxes. Ned, did you have anything else to discuss in your updates?"

Tomas questions, "When are you wanting to talk to us ned?"

Kinaed states to Nedyra, "I'll write an announce board post about this after the meeting."

Nedyra claims, "I was hoping to possibly do it after tonight's OOc chat, but turnout insofar as affected parties goes isn't quite there."

Nedyra claims, "I'll pboard the guild."

Kinaed questions to Nedyra, "Maybe officially make it after next week's OOC Chat?"

Nedyra says, "Can possibly do that, sure."

Nedyra says, "Failing that, I'll put it on the forums. But plan for after next week's chat."

Kinaed nods at Nedyra.

Nedyra claims, "After woodworking's been handled, and I mean completely, papercrafting will have my attention."

Kinaed beams.

Nedyra says, "And from my corner, that's the end."

Lakali leans on Kinaed sleepily.

Kinaed states, "Awesome, and now, Xin - you're up. :)"

Kinaed comforts Lakali.

Xinoe trails off, "Well! It's been a busy four hours for me..."

Xinoe grins.

Terryn laughs?

Terryn says OOCly, ">.>"

Xinoe says, "I'm still familiarizing myself with commands but some of you have probably already seen me poking at your typo notes and requests."

Lakali says, "Congratulations on joining. :)"

Kinaed grins, "Yeah, she literally just joined us, and I'm already throwing her into 'do your update' mode, mostly because it's our standard practice. Sorry, Xin."

Nedyra states to Xinoe, "She did it to me too, don't worry."

Nedyra grins at Kinaed.

Kinaed has the grace to look sheepish and scuffs a toe.

Xinoe states, "That'll be my main focus this coming week and depending on if I survive their gauntlet and gourmet rations, we'll see what other projects I'll be strapped with. Err graciously allowed to take on, that is."

Xinoe pontificates to Lakali, "Thank you! :)"

Xinoe states, "That's it for me this time around."

Kinaed states to Xinoe, "Thanks, lovely."

Nedyra claims, "I promise to leave her relatively intact. ... This week."

Kinaed states, "Okay, on Temi's behalf - she bought a house, so can't be here today. She's been a bit busy; I know she's been working on crafts still, but I can't remember what."

Nedyra claims, "Temi needs a changelog. ... So do I, actually. *cough*"

Kinaed muses, "Before we move on to Player Heartbeat, I'd like to ask if anyone is willing to review TI this month on TMC or other websites?"

Kinaed claims, "In any case, please consider doing so."

Samantha asks, "What other websites are there?"

Kinaed states, "Also, I'd like to remind players that we're looking for ti-facts to new players out. Please consider submitting a few with the ti-fact command."

Kinaed trails off to Samantha, "Top Mud Sites, um... Mudverse..."

Nedyra trails off to Samantha, "Might I suggest Reddit? We get some trafick from there on occasion..."

Terryn submitted a ti-fact earlier.

Kinaed states to Nedyra, "I never considered it."

Kinaed claims to Terryn, "Thanks! I'll review it today."

Samantha nods "I'd be willing to write a review for one of the other sites."

Kinaed claims to Samantha, "Thank you, Sam. :)"

Samantha says, "Welcome"

Kinaed muses, "Okay, Player Heartbeat - how's the game been for you in the last week or so, folks? Anything we can be doing to make it better?"

Terryn nods to Kinaed, " I posted a forum post on the website about something I think would make some things easier. The trademark thing."

Kinaed muses to Terryn, "Can you provide us the link, Terryn?"

Samantha hasn't really been here the last week... unless you count eight hours in the wee hour of the nightmorning

Karrina states, "I believe the big thing is the lack of happenings recently. I'm currently third on the activity list at 14 hours."

Samantha curses the fact that they can't use backslashes in poses

Kinaed queries to Samantha, "Do you realize that 8 hours a week is what the average player puts in during the whole week, and you're saying you 'haven't really been here' when you've just finally achieved average availability? *grin*"

Kinaed nods at Karrina.

Kinaed muses, "Anyone know what's causing that?"

Kinaed states, "We've had a recent donation for advertising, by the way."

Terryn queries, "/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=884&p=5521#p5521"

Rain tests/tests.

Samantha looks to Kinaed "I consider being here when you are actually able to rp with others. Afterall you can be logged on yet never interact with another person... and to me that isn't really being here

Nedyra says to Kinaed, "Did we? Brilliant."

Rain states to Samantha, "(Double it.)"

Kinaed nods at Samantha.

Samantha smiles to Rain "Thanks, will remember that in the future."

Kinaed questions, "Okay, well... can staff do anything to help people out?"

Rain says, "That's really the inspiration behind my post asking for help with hooks - creating events that hopefully appeal to folks who are around. That said, I think if everyone who has time to log in just actively attempted to go support somebody else's story for an hour, activity would pick up again."

Kinaed nods at Rain.

Rain states, "I've been spending a lot more time offline this week, generally, but I've got a post-it note on my monitor reminding me to hang out in a public room or find a friend to start something simple, sometime soon."

Kinaed muses, "I do want to raise, as delicately as possible, that I've heard there's some malaise and complaining in the pbase about problems lately. Is there anything there that you guys want to raise with us so we can try to fix anything that's going wrong?"

Karrina wonders, "That does bring up the question of what ever happened to that villain from the contest?"

Kinaed says, "Mind, I'm not sure if that's true, it's a rumor. And we all know how rumors are."

Kinaed claims to Karrina, "We put three villains into game with the Villain Contest."

An average built man with brown hair and grey eyes has lost link.

Kinaed states, "Autumn, one that had some set up to do, but has recently gone into game, and another that was just never played."

Kinaed claims, "Autumn has had some success, but I think is very busy irl. The second we may see some good outcomes from soon. The third, I think is a write off."

Karrina nods at Kinaed.

An average height, dark haired man says, "Autumn has done a lot when she is online"

Kinaed queries, "We also had a recent story request for a villain-contest type NPC set up, which we approved... because, heck, if running the villain contest is an idea we want to encourage, why not say yes when someone approaches it under a Story banner?"

Kinaed nods at an average height, dark haired man.

Karrina nods at an average height, dark haired man.

Karrina claims, "Yeah, Leech has always made some excellent villains."

Kinaed nods at Karrina.

Terryn should look into story-telling, " I just keep putting it on the back burner."

Kinaed states, "Alas, we miss Leech."

Kinaed nods at Terryn.

Samantha thinks of something, and turns to Kinaed "If there is still time at the player topics section, i would like to bring something up.

Karrina asks, "Do you think I could bring up my thought from earlier today?"

Kinaed states, "It's pretty simple. You fill out a POLCA form (like writing a messenger) and submit it. Staff take a look and approve or disapprove of the story idea."

An average built man with brown hair and grey eyes has reconnected.

Rain says, "Regarding malaise, I know I've vented to players, and in the recent past. I'd like to say that it's a first step for me to take the emotion out of an issue so I can present a logical request, but that's a dangerous space in the middle so I apologize if I've bled negativity onto anyone."

Kinaed claims, "Once approved, an ST can run the story any time they want."

Terryn states to Kinaed, "I'll probably start with something easy, like underwater basketweaving mishaps, then when used to st commands, bring out the big guns."

Lakali claims, "Autumn's a fun kind of villian."

Kinaed nods at Terryn.

Kinaed says to Terryn, "Sure, whatever works for you. :) Just happy to see the system used."

Kinaed says to Rain, "Venting is okay, and to a degree natural - I just want to encourage people to come to us because we're the only ones, usually, who can fix problems that are making people vent."

Rain nods.

Samantha looks to Lakali "Autumn is more of your generic, let's bring down the order mage... at least from an outward appearance. I'm not gonna say i expected more from the villian contest because i don't know what the full extent of her plans are."

Kinaed claims, "And if someone is venting, please direct them to talk to staff about their problems, either in an OOC Chat or elsewhere."

Tomas says, "I'm more worried about actually -running- an st as the commands and stuff I have no idea about. And as for malaise, i don't know. I just more of see the malaise and get a bit downhearted because of it, but I dont' want to speak for anyone"

Lakali claims, "I usually tell Kin my problems."

Kinaed claims to Tomas, "That's the problem with it - I think our numbers go lower when people who are upset spend a lot of time bagging the game because no one wants to hang around in an environment of negativity. It's just not fun."

Kinaed nods at Lakali.

Aios has returned from IAW.

Lakali states, "I've been away from the fact that so many leadership changes keep changing my RP."

Rain says, "I can't think of anything specific that's troubling me right now, though I think there's a trend in my feeling like changes can come in without full testing, which can lead to discomfort while kinks are ironed out."

Kinaed says to Lakali, "I'm sorry about that, we usually don't have such a glut of turnover, but I think things have happened that way due to lowering numbers."

Kinaed nods at Rain.

Rain says, "Sorry, not trying to talk over. :)"

Tomas claims, "I haven't been hearing bagging on the game. just I've been seeing/feeling the lack of motivation"

Azarial states, "I test what ic an, but not being a player, I don;t know all of the thigns people will do to my new commands and sych."

Kinaed claims to Rain, "That's in part due to having a lack of manpower in staff world, though Nedyra is starting to take on a lot of testing."

Kinaed nods at Azarial.

Kinaed nods at Tomas.

Azarial says, "Yeah. ned is excellent for finding the bizarre corner cases."

Kinaed muses to Tomas, "Thanks for sharing that with us - do you think there's anything we can do to address that or help out?"

Nedyra has a test character and everything, so if Az implements something that munches a pfile, no innocent things are killed before we disable it.

Kinaed states to Rain, "Btw, don't worry about talking over - I don't find it disruptive."

Kinaed says, "Okay, well, I think we have some player talking stuff to get to - so thanks for listening to my thoughts on those things, folks."

Tomas states to Kinaed, "I don't know, I can't speak to what is bothering other people. Just for me sometimes it's simple motivation to do thing, things being a bit stagnant at times rply"

Kinaed asks, "Karrina, you wanted to raise something?"

Kinaed nods at Tomas.

Azarial claims, "Admttedly, some of the recent crashes have been symptoms of soemthing else that I cannot trace."

Kinaed says to Tomas, "We have some ideas to remedy that, I think. If no one minds us going seriously over, I'll chat about it after Karrina's done with her introduction."

Kinaed queries to Karrina, "Mining, right?"

Karrina nods at Kinaed.

Kinaed asks of Samantha, "You after Karrina, okay?"

Karrina states, "Give me a moment to write it up."

Kinaed nods at Karrina.

Samantha nods

Terryn thought of something, it involves ranged combat, is willing to wait.

Kinaed asks of Terryn, "You after Samantha... please write it down so as not to forget it when it's your turn, okay?"

Karrina states, "Well part of the thinking about mining and brought it up in Merchant chat. The parts I was thinking of was that it could only be done in mountain terrain possibly hill for the lower level ores. You will have to mine for each type of metal individually in a progressive way. Like you can mine copper to begin with then you would progress to tin, then iron lumps, silver lumps at halfway through adept, with gold lumps and unpolished gems would be at master. One then could go to a public refinery and pay to use their equipment to refine the lumps into useable materials for crafting. Tin and copper would be mixed together to make bronze."

Terryn nods to Kinaed.

Kinaed nods at Karrina.

Kinaed says, "Seems reasonable to me. Any limitations or anything? Metals can be worth quite a lot, so what I'd be looking for is to ensure that the time digging them up doesn't vastly exceed their value in game terms. For example, the average person across the game probable earns about 120 silver per week when all is said and done (average, so there are some people way above that, and some way below)."

Rain wonders, "Maybe limit how much you can mine an IC/RL day?"

Kinaed states, "So I wouldn't want a person to spend 2 minutes and dig 500 silver worth of metal out of the earth, or we'll see that skill become a go-to-skill rather than something to support a craft."

Kinaed nods at Rain.

Karrina muses, "All the ore needs to be refined before it could even be used to begin with. Possibly certain ores only available in certain locations?"

Rain says, "Which I guess is sort of how forage is now, where you clear out a room and have to wait for it to 'regrow.'"

Kinaed claims, "That's one way to approach it, but I think another way is to maybe have it rank up the way we do skills. Mine until a meter is full, then when the meter is full, you get the item. So you follow a thread of iron ore, keep following it and mining, until eventually you have enough iron to make a sword."

Kinaed nods at Karrina.

Zeita states, "It will also heavily deflate the market value of the blacksmith craft."

Kinaed has transferred Noah. [OOC]

Terryn muses, "Maybe two different skills? Mining to get 'a large hunk of rock' out of the ground, higher ranks increase the chance of quality metal inside, then refining as a skill to get the metals out, higher ranks make for higher chances to get more out of the rock"

Tomas wonders, "I guess my thought is that currently woodworking can be self-sufficient with cutting the wood to making wood items but is relatively cheap, to balance it being all profit.... yeah what Zeita said would this make the prices of smithing stuff go way down as well?"

Nedyra gives a simple cloth cardinal doll with a flowing linen robe to Noah.

Noah says, "Oh, perfect, this topic."

Karrina claims to Noah, "I just brought it up."

Kinaed states to Terryn, "I kinda like that idea."

Noah grins at Karrina.

Aios queries to Kinaed, "What about those intermediate results? If I start up a mining crew and have 10 people start digging, would there be a way to have them pool results at the end of the day, or is it nothing, nothing, then all of a sudden 10x swords' worth?"

Noah states, "Karrina and I were discussing it and I was thinking that we might need a consistent policy across crafts."

Kinaed queries to Aios, "I like the idea of having a pool... so maybe if a mine were started in a room and multiple people can work it?"

Kinaed says to Noah, "I agree, I think we do need one."

Noah says, "For 'how much of the cost of items can you make disappear by sourcing ingredients yourself' vs. how much of the cost is constant."

Kinaed says, "One of the problems we've had is that crafts have been added haphazardly at different stages of craft code maturity."

Karrina states to Aios, "You would also have the expense of paying those miners, plus the cost of the mining rights and the construction of the mine itself."

Noah states, "Woodworking may be relatively cheap, but it's a wee bit broken in that you can make all of the cost disappear. Compared to tailoring where none disappears."

Noah nods.

Kinaed states, "Older crafts, even in the new system, don't have the refinement of newer ones."

Kinaed nods at Noah.

Nedyra claims, "One of the reason they're heading for a rewrite."

Kinaed states, "I think we may make a craft policy and review of old crafts a major issue and priority."

Noah claims, "And so much individual free rein over how to build it. Blacksmith's charcoal system is unlike any other craft."

Kinaed states, "So much more is relying on crafts now than used to be as we also try to resolve things people come to staff for RPA for into crafts too, honestly."

Kinaed nods at Noah.

Aios says to Karrina, "All the more reason to want those intermediate results (sorry for slow reply)"

Noah claims, "I personally think the systems should be set up so that you can't erase -most- of the cost by sourcing your own materials, because players who don't have the time to do all the supply chain stuff and rely on shops shouldn't be at an insurmountable disadvantage compared to those who can. But it still has to be a decent % of cost so there is room for supply sellers."

Kinaed says, "For posterity, are there any suggestions players have for standards re: crafts in general? Temi's been doing a review of older crafts to put in lessons learned, but I think I can work with Temi, Ned and Xin to come up with an overarching craft policy and balance, then we can continue that audit."

Kinaed nods at Noah.

Kinaed claims, "I think that's a reasonable point to consider. Btw, I'll ask Temi to review this log."

Kinaed says, "Also, Noah, just so you know - next week after the OOC Chat, Ned is meeting with interested players to discuss and hash out new Woodworking."

Rain states, "Regarding standard pricing, I think the difficulty is in determining a labor cost, really. It's hard to price for skill, and I really would not want to encourage pricing by OOC time spent on something as I'm not a big fan of too much work on a game."

Noah says, "Ah. Good to know."

Noah nods at Rain.

Karrina says, "It would be nice to be able to source the materials myself in order to consistently defray the cost from buying from the store. Haggle does not always fire and not for a consistent amount."

Tomas says to Rain, "I agree with you there"

Kinaed claims, "I think that's a compromise - time, cost, quality triangle is a universal truth. If we break it to reduce work on the game, we will break other systems in the game because we've created a work-around for things."

Kinaed says, "So I think the best thing is to have a time-money standard, that is not arduous to players, and generally try to build to that standard."

Noah says, "For craft standards, I would suggest that 1) failure should always return particularly expensive or difficult-to-source components; 2) crafts shouldn't have ingredients only used in at most 1-2 recipes, but instead consolidate. 3) Maybe... supply sourcing yourself as opposed to from shops saves you no more than somewhere between 25-50% of making cost? And admittedly I'm discounting labor."

Kinaed nods at Noah.

Kinaed states, "I think it's fine to discount labor."

Kinaed says, "Just not to the extent that labor is not a valid choice for a reasonable player."

Noah nods.

Tomas questions to Noah, "Perhaps have something like where the smiths need charcoal (but maybe not in such large amounts) woodworkers need nails? tailors need what... uhm, something else?"

Karrina states, "The trade off in less monetary cost of material is the cost in time that a player needs to invest in gathering those materials."

Kinaed says, "I think that's a good summary, so I'll definitely discuss those points with the staff, and we'll get a written 'craft building guideline' up for all crafts to be reviewed against."

Noah states to Tomas, "Tailoring already needs thread, I think."

Noah trails off, "Not sure..."

Kinaed claims, "I'd like to also add that anything a player does with a duration should be strippable if it's reasonable for them to do so - ie, wash off your perfume, but not your contact poison, for example."

Kinaed nods at Karrina.

Kinaed claims to Karrina, "I agree, and it's just a matter of not over or understating the value of that investment when we take it into consideration as a method."

Tomas says to Noah, "I'm not sure either, but just those broad components that aren't like the core building blocks can be done into ways to keep you from sourcing everything on your own. like nails/thread/charcoal and the like and keep the iconic things, fabrics, metals, wood things that can be gathered"

Tomas queries, "Actually on that point, maybe put in weaving for tailors? so they can make fabrics?"

Tomas trails off, "Like proper weaving weaving, taking raw materials. Same general thought to adding in mining and with woodworking already there..."

Karrina questions, "Possibly animal husbandry or farming to grow and produce your own wool, cotton, or linen...?"

Kinaed nods at Tomas.

Kinaed states, "We can consider it."

Noah claims, "Yeah, I think it's hard to balance the crafts until all of them can somehow source some of their raw materials for reduced cost."

Kinaed says, "I do want to be careful to ensure that the merchants are highly represented in discussing that sort of system, just because, more than anyone else in the game, they're the people who will be saddled with what we do."

Tomas states to Noah, "Yeah it's much easier to give them all a way to source some of the raw materials on their own with a 'gathering' sort of skill"

Kinaed states, "We have some merchants here, yes, but I think it's probably best if it's in a meeting with the targetted question about what crafts should be, and hashing it out with them over a long haul."

Rain states, "I loves me some money but in my experience, it seems incredibly easy to get rich from crafting to the point that it's detrimental to the game."

Karrina trails off, "Well cotton and flax can possibly be added to herbalism at low skills..."

Kinaed states, "Maybe more time than what we have now."

Noah says to Rain, "On the right crafts. *grin*"

Noah says, "But admittedly in leatherworking my prices can be very low because it's almost 100% profit."

Kinaed states to Rain, "That's something we can take into account as well. Thanks for being willing to raise that honestly."

Kinaed nods at Noah.

Kinaed claims, "I think that there should be a serious benefit though."

Karrina nods at Kinaed.

Kinaed claims, "Crafting should earn a reasonable profit, or why would anyone do it? I guess I need more info on what 'game breaking' means."

Rain claims, "For sure. I don't know that this would be a good fix but without spending too much time on research first, I'd suggest somehow capping the amount saved by sourcing from PCs. Which I think might have already been said during this meeting."

Kinaed says, "Also, it makes sense for prices to be ABLE to be reasonably low, or there'll be no market for the goods."

Kinaed claims, "Because not everyone has a lot of money."

Noah says, "Part of the problem is nobody else can make money too well."

Rain nods at Noah.

Noah states, "So crafting is wildly out of sync with any other way of making money."

Kinaed nods at Noah.

Karrina claims, "Most other players rely upon the wages from their guilds as well as the weekly silver from the Imms."

Kinaed claims, "We should probably do an exercise of writing down how people make money and trying to ... not precisely balance it, but beef up areas where it's lax, if appropriate, etc. Just an audit, maybe."

Samantha nods in agreeance with karrina

Kinaed states, "Then once we see what the world is looking like, fix it up."

Noah says, "Yeah, if you can track that, that'd be cool. I think it's all purchase silver/wealth for rich folks who aren't merchants."

Kinaed says to Karrina, "But if they're inactively sitting on their butts for that money, I don't see why the system should be geared to reward them. At least merchants ARE doing work. They have to source the resources, create the item, find a market, and sell to conversion. "

Kinaed nods at Noah.

Kinaed says, "I think few people actually exchange money for services except in big bangs on the bounty list (which we see rarely enough)."

Rain says, "And some guilds use or have used systems where you can do extra duty in guild to earn more than your weekly paycheck."

Noah states, "The problem is a lot of actual work isn't tied to money. You can bust your butt as a Reeve and make much less than a barely active merchant who gets a single good commission. "

Karrina claims, "The different gathering crafts could also be affected by seasonality. If it is not the season for that particular product, then there would be little to no return from the skill."

Tomas claims, "Maybe more opportunity for rp jobs/things that will earn wages for the non merchants, I don't know"

Kinaed claims, "It's relatively few people who hire PCs to do things, or put them on retainer."

Rain says, "But paying for RP work is sticky."

Kinaed claims, "Which is a shame, because that's what the IP system is ideally intended to encourage."

Terryn has tried hiring pc's, some people are difficult. P

Noah claims, "You need money to hire people."

Kinaed states to Noah, "Re:reeve vs merchant - I think that inequity is standard to irl too."

Samantha smirks to Terryn "You managed to hire vren, all those months ago."

Kinaed says to Karrina, "I'm not sure how I see seasonality there."

Azarial claims, "Wrong season, no linen."

Noah nods at Kinaed.

Karrina nods at Azarial.
Lurks the Forums

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:28 pm

Kinaed says to Noah, "It's not particularly hard to get money on TI, especially if you're willing to use XP."

Kinaed states, "In fact, if you're willing to use XP, money is dirt easy to get."

Noah claims to Kinaed, "Oh, yeah. If you're willing to use XP you're fine."

Tomas states to Kinaed, "How is IP to help hire PC's to do it? I need money to do that. Unfortunately my alt with the money and no IP can hire people but doesn't need them. my alt with lots of IP but not nearly the money is having to spend the money he has/gets so can't afford rtainers, don't see how IP comes into it"

Noah states, "But I think purchase silver DOES represent a bit of a 'crutch'. If you need it to uphold the gentry lifestyle, gentry pay may be off."

Kinaed states to Tomas, "You get IP by hiring PCs if they support you."

Terryn has recently changed Reeve pay to make it a worthwhile job. And it has the benefit of stirring up some future rp since it won't likely last for more than a few months.

Noah grins at Terryn.

Kinaed states to Tomas, "Which gives you more influence in game, it's the best way to get influence, in fact."

Samantha says, "Yet you can't really be sure they actually do support you"

Karrina states, "Unless you spend said IP to check."

Samantha claims, "I don't think you can actually spend ip to check who supports you"

Tomas states, "I guess I got confused when you said it was the big benefit of IP, it seems more like you are saying IP benefits of hiring pc's"

Kinaed says, "I'm planning on changing IP calculations (again, sorry folks) just because I think it's not functional at the moment."

Noah claims, "In my experience I'm more likely to get IP from allies, not subordinates, so to speak."

Kinaed states to Tomas, "Sorry, I may have chickened-before-the-egged there."

Kinaed nods at Noah.

Samantha claims, "It's not. Since the last change to ip it has all but gone caput"

Noah nods at Samantha.

Kinaed nods at Samantha.

Kinaed claims, "The first time around, we had a problem with people having MASSIVE stores of unused IP."

Terryn points accusingly at Ariel. P

Noah exclaims, "Hey, I used mine whenever I had a use for them! *grin*"

Tomas says, "I think the problem I face is... I have no idea what to do with the IP I have. I have no reason to use it with the current ways that I know of, not right now"

Samantha smirks "Ip is turning into the goldilockes story."

Noah nods at Tomas.

Kinaed trails off, "And I do want the game to be responsive to what is happening in the game... so if you have IP and weren't using it, but just sat on your rump for weeks and weeks til you had 80 or 90 IP saved where the people who were actively moving and shaking hadn't built up a stock, then could be disrupted by someone who hasn't done anything political, etc, just walking in and dumping 50 IP on it..."

Kinaed claims, "That bothered me."

An average built man with brown hair and grey eyes has reconnected.

Kinaed claims, "We switched to a 'everyone can pool, but it reflects your current IP standings' to find that people just didn't have enough, in general, to do much."

Noah states, "It -might- be better to just limit the amount that can be used on a given thing."

Karrina queries, "Perhaps allow us to only be able to keep about a third of our Max IP from week to week?"

Noah claims, "So stocks let you do multiple smaller things, but not overwhelm ten other people in a single specific thing."

Kinaed questions, "But I'm concerned because I'm not sure if it's because people don't really utilize support the way it's intended, and if we ever get people to use it that way, will we find IP is once more not properly balanced?"

Terryn frowns, " Arynon did that, kept bumping rumors and whatnot up. When the first Regent vote went through, he dumped it all on his favorite."

Rain states, "I think that's more a supply and demand issue, myself. If there's not much you need to use the IP on at a given time, why wouldn't you be storing it up for something you might want later? Like saving up cash for that slightly better car."

Noah nods at Rain.

Aios states, "Maybe a weekly decay would be better than a weekly reset, so if you gain some you don't get to sit on it forever, but you have to KEEP earning it to be "influential"."

Noah states to Rain, "That too, for sure. With more uses I bet nobody would stockpile."

Aios says, "Not to mention the dreaded D word >.>"

Rain nods at Aios.

Noah states, "Well. Not stockpile as MUCH."

Kinaed says, "Influence isn't like cash, though."

Kinaed claims, "You don't remain influential just because you were last year."

Noah wonders, "Should influence just be a 'rating' and not points, then?"

Kinaed claims, "It's not something you bank, it's something that happens through being relevant."

Noah says, "I.E., I have '8' influence. Everything I do is affected by my 8 influence."

Kinaed claims to Noah, "Oh, that's a sweet idea."

Noah claims, "Whether it be rumors, GL strikes, etc."

Aios says, "You also don't vanish from the public eye every weekend though. Reset is a really hard hit."

Kinaed nods at Aios.

Rain claims, "Arguably you need to spend influence to be influential, but I don't know that the uses for IP cover all the ways someone -becomes- influential."

Noah says, "That models it in a way that seems more realistic to me, so long as it's capped so no one person is more than, say, 3 other people."

Karrina states to Aios, "So your relevancy would degrade unless you keep yourself relevant."

Kinaed asks, "What do you guys think of having an influence LEVEL then, and that at higher levels, commands like blacklist, etc, are just free?"

Tomas says to Noah, "I like that"

Lakali states, "That'd be nice."

Zeita says, "Sorry folks, can't concentrate on the meeting."

Zeita begins to descend.

Samantha says, "I don't think any command such as that, should be free, I like the idea of a level but not free"

Kinaed claims, "I think the top levels of influence would probably be a bit hard to maintain."

Zeita opens the lower pillow.
Zeita leaves down bustling along energetically

Terryn states to Kinaed, "Free is usually a bad thing, but severely discounted, that's an entirely different story."

Tomas says to Kinaed, "I like it and maybe people need to combine together to do things. but maybe when people combine have it so that the primary person get all their levels but but the supporting people only get like half or three fourths their influence levels added (to possibly represent combined spheres of influence)"

Kinaed ponders.

Kinaed states, "I think we can go in this direction a bit, yeah."

Noah states, "Commands could still cost QP or something, but I think level helps a lot vs. points. "

Noah claims, "Or perhaps using a command temp. lowers your level."

Noah states, "Because you've pushed pretty hard on your influence already."

Tomas claims, "Level makes a lot more sense to me vs points"

Kinaed says, "I'll probably have a bit of work to do around it with the staff, but I do think influence levels are a great way to manage influence, at least in comparison to how we are now."

Tomas states to Noah, "I like that"

Noah claims to Tomas, "You're good for my self-esteem tonight."

Aios questions, "Is that different from stockpiling? Does the level go down after a while?"

Terryn says to Kinaed, "What about ways to spend the influence a bit? Like say once a week you can spend influence so that haggle fires more, or your rumors are harder to get rid of, or someone else's rumors are easier? You know, reasons to spend ip which in turn gives a reason to get more.""

Noah says, "I would see the level as constant (based on your support, guild ranks, etc.)"

Tomas states to Noah, "Hey if you said something I didn't like I would say it's crap"

Noah trails off, "Except maybe lowered for a week by command usage..."

Kinaed claims to Terryn, "It's a good idea."

Kinaed claims, "I do think we do need more places to use influence."

Noah states, "Oooh, influence to fire haggle more is nice."
Rain nods at Terryn.

Tomas says, "I do like the idea of having more ways of using influence as well"

Noah says, "Yeah, more influence applications for sure."

Rain states, "I'd like to see IP used for more RPA situations instead of or rather than just straight QP."

Kinaed claims, "One thing I want to see influence do is give higher ups the ability to socially 'fight' one another."

Noah claims, "Being able to spy on people's bank accounts/transaction histories would be awesome."

Tomas states, "Maybe make some commands lower your influence levels by more for the next week (temporarily) and some less. So if you try and push a big thing it is a bigger hit for the next, but slowly goes back up but if you do smaller things it isn't so big of a hit to your influence in the next week"

Kinaed nods.

Noah trails off, "An influence command to lower somebody else's influence level..."

Kinaed states, "Okay, guys - I hate to say it, but I've been poked by my husband about getting off as we're over. I've told him one more hour, but I can see us talking abotu this for an hour, and Samantha and ... Terryn? Was it you? Have some things to raise."

Kinaed says, "I also have something to raise towards the end."

Terryn grins, " An influence command to see who is lowering your influence level."

Terryn says OOCly, "Yes it was me"

Kinaed muses, "So thanks so much for this, it's gold. We'll use it. But we need to turn our eyes to other business also. Samantha, can you introduce your topic now?"

Samantha queries, "Well what I wanted to bring up, is more to get a feel from those here. I have been trying to plan an event for sometime on a character, and just had an idea that may work, but of course I wouldn't want to do an event that no one would enjoy, so my question for you all is would you enjoy an event similar to a masquerade ball? Afterall the last one we did, nearly a year and a half ago was a rather nice success and brought a decent crowd, but we have had alot more people since then and i'm just curious if it is still something people would be interested in? And it would not just be the same thing, would likely change//add things to make it different, but still hopefully good"

Kinaed says, "I'd love to come to one of those."

Noah exclaims, "Masquerade balls are always fun. Especially with sumptuary suspended and things like party games (see who can guess the most identities of those present!)"

Terryn states to Samantha, "Make it happen. I love those things."

Kinaed states, "I enjoy planning the outfit and all that."

Kinaed nods at Noah.

Tomas states, "I like it"

Rain nods.

Kinaed claims to Samantha, "I think that's a ringing endorsement :) "

Kinaed wonders to Samantha, "Did you want to discuss anything else, or can I ask Terryn to introduce his topic?"

An average height, dark haired man states, "I would go"

Kinaed grins at an average height, dark haired man.

Samantha nods "I would agree, and of course there would be party games, and other things.. thinking a contest of sorts," winks "And nope that was it."

Karrina says to Samantha, "I remember that one rather fondly."

Samantha smirks to Karrina "I figured you would."

Karrina says to Samantha, "Fishface."

Kinaed muses to Terryn, "Please introduce your topic?"

Rain questions, "Related! I think I got skipped 'cause I summarized when I asked to have it added, so: Please check the forums or send me a tell or pboard if you prefer and let me know what sort of stuff interests you or your PCs so I can make some events and STs with that info! The link again is /viewtopic.php?f=8&t=886&p=5531#p5531"

Rain states to Terryn, "Thanks."

Rain grins.

Kinaed says to Rain, "Oh, sorry."

Rain states, "It's cool! I forgot."

Kinaed smiles at Rain.

Terryn nods to Kinaed, " Well I know that ranged combat is getting closer to being done. I was wondering if any thought has been given to defenses against it? With ranged combat it's no longer face to face combat, now there are things in the way, things to use. I.E.- doors to use as shields, hiding behind a wagon, human shield."

Kinaed says, "Yes, block in particular will be highly effective against ranged combat."

Samantha hides behind both Karrina and Terryn "Protect me meat shields."

Noah states, "Interesting."

Karrina muses, "What about footwork?"

Kinaed states, "I wasn't planning on going outside of the existing defenses."

Kinaed says to Karrina, "Standard defense."

Karrina nods.

Noah muses, "It'll have a strength, too?"

Noah says, "I.e., a defense IT nerfs."

Karrina states, "I believe parry would be the worst."

Kinaed states, "A weapon it's strong against, yes."

Samantha claims, "Yeah was gonna say the same thing, parry would be useless against a bow and arrow for example"

Rain grinds up her Chopsticks skill to snatch projectiles from the air.

Terryn says to Kinaed, "What about having 'improvised' as a defense? but you have to use things that are real in the room, instead of holding it."

Kinaed claims, "I have to recheck the list, but we have it."

Noah grins.

Noah says to Terryn, "It might upset balance since every other weapon has one defense it's weak against and one it's strong against."

Noah states to Terryn, "Kinda nice to keep that pattern."

Tomas trails off, "How broad is ranged combat going to be? is it going to be just a ranged skill or will there be throwing/bows&arrow and will there be crossbows or..."

Kinaed claims, "Ranged combat will be in-room, it will be a bit slower than usual combat, ie it takes a bit of time to reload a bow, but it has the benefit of being able to be used at, well, range."

Tomas muses to Noah, "Isn't unarmed an exception to that?"

Noah says to Tomas, "Unarmed is a different SORT of exception."

Kinaed says, "You won't be safe from someone with a sword chasing you down unless you have help keeping that sword bearing person from running up to you and smackaging you."

Samantha queries, "So it is similar to fifth circle mattack?"

Noah says to Tomas, "It'd be sort of weird to have two weaknesses."

Tomas claims to Noah, "Yeah it would be"

Kinaed says, "Running up to people in combat is something I'm hasing out at the moment because it changes movement in combat in general."

Noah claims, "Movement in combat already needed a good solid shake-up. *grin*"

Kinaed states to Samantha, "Similar to, yes, but slower. You won't be able to fire every round."

Samantha will stick with her lovely mage thank you very much

Kinaed states, "I can't really get more detailed than that at the moment because, well, honestly, I haven't hashed out more than that. I have all of this written down, but it's not cohesive."

Kinaed says, "I have big questions around running up to someone in combat."

Kinaed says, "And I've been meaning to resolve them by a chat with staff, but I've been time poor lately."

Kinaed is now working 40 hours a week again with 2 hour commute per day on top.

Terryn queries, "So round 1, Macey starts running at David Bowey, David fires, hits Macey, round 2, Macey does 2nd lunge, David has to reload, round 3 it's melee time?"

Tomas states, "I guess I have two things in mind about this... one based on range one based upon movement."

Kinaed claims, "I see a round as 'everyone has gone'. So Round 1, turn one, David fires a bow at Macey. Macey runs up to him. Round 2, David is reloading, Macey smacks him."

Kinaed claims, "Everyone has a turn in a round."

Kinaed asks of Tomas, "Please comment?"

Kinaed claims, "After that, I want to discuss what staff have been discussing this last week and implore players for ideas, but I can just move to a forum post on it."

Terryn claims to Kinaed, "And will arrows be usable with improvised? I'm sure there are alot of Legolas' that want to stab people with them."

Samantha really needs to make bow davidson, and have him with a fortress in the hedge maze... Gasps loudly "Eureka!" starts plotting something

An average built man with brown hair and grey eyes is idle.

Kinaed claims to Terryn, "Any item can be used with improvised, it's the definition of the skill."

Lakali claims, "Although ya might think about that when someone swings an entire cabinet."

Rain states, "I think it has to have some certain beefiness level."

Azarial claims, "Almsot any itme. there are weight and size limits"

Tomas claims, "With range, if block is the thing it's strongest defending against it seems like it isg oing to weigh things towards encouraging block as it defends against the most attacks. (that's one) and with movement, I guess one thing that has me concerned about movement was like the daravi plot recently. that was such a wash because it took like 2 rounds for the melee people to get to the mages so that it was over before people even closed. I think range should present some advantage but an easier way of closing (and conversely moving away) would be better)"

Kinaed says, "We can take a note to make sure arrows are improvise-usable."

Terryn claims to Kinaed, "Oh did it get fixed? I know a player had issues with finding a proper weapon a few months ago."

Kinaed nods at Tomas.

Noah states to Tomas, "Lemme note that right now block is UNDERUTILIZED because it's the only block that needs an object."

Kinaed says, "I think rushing someone should be a combat command."

Noah states to Tomas, "Er, only defense. So this may -actually- just fix things rather than make block too powerful, depending on how common ranged becomes."

Kinaed says, "With regards to block, we may have to change things around a bit. Block has the downside that not only do you need the skill, you need a shield to use it, however."

Lakali hugs a tempered steel shield bearing a convex boss at the center.

Tomas says, "That is true. "

Lakali bashes noah.

Kinaed trails off, "Okay, so if that covers ranged combat (not closes it, but moves us to a place we can get to something more)..."

Noah states to Lakali, "Son, you don't wanna try that. ;)"

Kinaed claims, "As you all know, staff have wanted to put domain games into play for ages."

Azarial claims, "Should be able to wear a shield on combat now."

Samantha prepares themself

Kinaed says, "We never have because whenever we do work on it, we run smack into a few problems:

- Domain games are not Lithmore-centric where the game takes place
- It's really a game for nobles"

Kinaed states, "We love nobles, and we acknowledge there are some problems with making nobles relevant."

Kinaed states, "But I don't think setting up an RP generating system that is mostly for only one class of the game is really the right way to go about this."

Kinaed claims, "So we're looking for more city-centric ways of implementing RP stimulating things."

Samantha looks up from the grunge filled corner that they have been in, looking like an ugly step-child "You do love us?" narrows eyes "I am very leery of what you are saying thus far."

Kinaed claims, "With the advent of pvents, we thought we could create a similar system that roles on a once-a-month basis, a city event."

Kinaed questions to Samantha, "Would you mind only being negative after we've told you what it is and you can legitimately criticize the idea?"

Kinaed states to Samantha, "It's hard to stand up here and introduce your ideas when people are poo pooing you before you've even finished saying what's on your mind. Please, be patient with me."

Kinaed claims, "Okay, so we're thinking of creating a system to roll a city event."

Kinaed says, "The city is already nicely divided up into different quarters and the like, so we think we can focus on things happening in different areas, and maybe put up goals to try to resolve the event."

Lakali muses, "Question?"

Kinaed says, "So, for example, if we roll up that the structure of the sewers is going kaput, and a sinkhole is appearing under the town hall, people may have a goal to RP about gathering stone to fix it up."

An average built man with brown hair and grey eyes is no longer idle.

Kinaed queries to Lakali, "Yep?"

An average built man with brown hair and grey eyes has returned from AFK.

Lakali wonders, "This will be pretty varied right, like more than just problems as events/various different things for that?"

Kinaed asks of Lakali, "What do you mean? Can you give me an example of each?"

Kinaed says, "Honestly, we're not sure exactly what it will look like yet."

Lakali states, "Go on, I'll think of some rather than take up too much time talking."

Lakali nods.

Kinaed nods at Lakali.

Kinaed states, "Part of this is talking to you guys about what would work, what wouldn't etc."

Lakali nods.

Noah claims, "I think it's difficult to create truly engaging, gripping RP off those kind of prompts without somebody "GMing" them, so to speak."

Noah states, "So it might spur some activity, but I'm not sure how contributory that activity would be to the overall 'action' in the game."

Kinaed states, "I'm not sure what events will be in the system, but I would hope for them to be generally varied and maybe resolve around a few different things. We have environmental factors like the River Bren, we have medical factors like public health, we have infrastructure factors (buildings and maintenance), etc."

Kinaed states, "Well, I was thinking that when a plot comes up, staff can put up some general goals."

Samantha asks, "And you said you came up with this instead of domain games correct?"

Kinaed claims, "I've thought - staff can introduce the event with an IC_Event post and a list of goals. Players can put a request in the system saying how they've attempted to resolve the plot goals, and we can reward them for advancing it and eventually write up an IC_Event about what happened based on what people have done."

Kinaed nods at Samantha.

Terryn states to Kinaed, "Sales competitions between the different quarters(good for vandagan vs. tubori vs. vavardian. 'Whose more devout?' getting people to go to a church in a particular quarter."

Noah states, "I would personally prefer more dramatic 'problems', if this went in."

Kinaed claims, "I want and RPed with Zeita about a trade deal we're making with Vandago to get stone, for example."

Kinaed says to Noah, "Yeah, me too."

Kinaed claims, "Just using a simple example."

Noah nods.

Kinaed asks of Noah, "Can you give an example of what might be more dramatic?"

Kinaed states, "I think the flood quest might have fit well into this system, for example."

Samantha trails off, "So how does this fix the problem of nobles being severely... underpowered in terms of their role? Afterall that is part of the reason domain games were even being considered was because of the problems with the whole noble role..."

Kinaed claims, "Or the mage invasion."

Noah states, "The sewers was a good one. Plagues in Southside. Etc. Natural disasters."

Kinaed states to Samantha, "It doesn't, but domain games weren't around to fix that precisely."

Noah says, "I could see Court as very possibly organizing a lot of the response, which might help noblefolks have something to do."
Kinaed nods at Noah.

Lakali claims, "We should have an invasion of Mages riding the waves of a flood."

Rain claims, "A range would probably be good though, to avoid the 'every campaign ends in dragons' problem."

Noah nods at Rain.

Aios claims, "Yeah, don't want it to be the weekly devastation."

Kinaed nods at Rain.

Noah states to Rain, "Yeah... we have enough demons from STs for a lifetime, for example. *grin*"

Kinaed asks, "Maybe we can do one or two devasting things per year, seriously staff GMed, then do minor things once a month?"

Noah states, "That sounds pretty cool."

Lakali nods.

Kinaed asks, "Okay, we're not sure how beefed up we're going to go - do we give each section of the city stats or things they can do to leverage against events? Leave it totally to RP?"

Kinaed says, "There's a lot to consider still, but we'd love more ideas, and I'll post an introduction on the forums."

Noah states, "Honestly, I like leaving it wide open to start."

Kinaed claims, "And... it's been two hours since we started."

Kinaed nods at Noah.

Terryn states to Kinaed, "Why not do it the other way? Have the devastations/problems/whatever happen to the land of a particular noble(chosen at random?) then the game is each of the nobles trying to get players beneath their station to provide help for that noble, or to take advantage of the situation.""

Rain states, "That would take the action out of the played area."

Kinaed states to Terryn, "Because it happens outside of Lithmore, and there are people who can't participate. A system like this should be to the benefit of all players, and we can't skew it too far away from that."

Kinaed says, "Resolving the problems with nobility having something to do, etc, is a consideration, and something we're not saying is resolved or pushing off the table."

Kinaed states, "We absolutely do need to address that."

Kinaed says, "I'm just thinking that this particular system is too big and encompassing, too useful, to only be about the nobility."

Noah says, "Ultimately nobles are just a tiny part of the game and this system benefits everybody. I think it makes a lot of sense this way."

Terryn says to Kinaed, "That's where the game comes in, lets say Ariel's land has a famine. He needs food. The other nobles decide if they want to help or hinder, then include the other players to gather foodstuffs, poison foodstuffs, or pay for bandits stop food trains.""

An average height, dark haired man states, "I agree with Noah"

Kinaed claims, "We do have some things up for nobles, like putting resources into their domains and giving them commands to get shipments of the resource, set pricing, and blockade Lithmore from being able to receive/sell any items of that resource."

Kinaed claims to Terryn, "I think that example is more open than it otherwise could be, but not as open as Lithmore has a famine and it's everyone's problem."

Kinaed claims, "I'll open this discussion further on the forums."

Terryn just doesn't want regular disasters in Lithmore, " We are already on a Hellmouth, floodzone, and who knows what else."

Noah states, "Realistically I'm sure a city of this size and prominence deals with small but interesting problems constantly."

Noah says, "Don't have to be disasters so much as nicely suited for some dramatic RP."

Kinaed claims, "Please throw in ideas. One thing I'd like to note: Lithmore is nicely divided into the following sectors:

- Northern Lithmore & Merchants Quarter (ie, rich area)
- Civic Center (town hall, cathedral, etc
- Southside (poorest of the poor)
- Foreign Quarthers (immigrants tend to live there)"

Kinaed says, "I'd love to find ways to utilize this."

Kinaed says, "It's too pretty and too convenient not to play up somehow."

Kinaed nods at Noah.

Kinaed claims, "I suppose we can add outlying regions (ie, the wilderness) to that."

Noah states, "Ooh, that helps."

Kinaed says, "But it'd be cool if we could somehow play up the culture of these different areas, and basically breathe our city to life to give people more environmental factors to RP about."

Samantha questions "You say kinaed that 'It's too pretty and too convenient not to play up somehow."

Kinaed claims, "And on that note, I'm going to have to say THANK YOU so much for coming."

Kinaed muses to Samantha, "?"

Samantha says, "Shit that was not suppose to be entered but deleted ignore"

Kinaed smiles.

Kinaed hugs Samantha.

Kinaed claims, "Okay, ladies and gents, I've seriously gone over the time I can afford before my husband starts thinking divorce."

Noah states, "Thanks. It was a good meeting. :)"

Kinaed passes hugs around, "Thanks again for participating in this week's OOC Chat."

Kinaed beams.

Kinaed waves.

Lakali claims, "Thanks Kin."

Tomas states, "I feel... so much more productive with this meeting, personally. I like it"

Kinaed says to Tomas, "I'm glad to hear it, and thank you for your ideas."

Karrina claims, "That's because we went an hour and 15 minutes over."

Kinaed nods at Karrina.

Aios stops using a simple cloth cardinal doll with a flowing linen robe.
Lurks the Forums

Inertia

Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:18 pm

I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this OOC Chat as well. It felt awesome to be part of the brainstorming process of a potential new system. I feel more invested and interested in supporting the idea, and more aware and appreciative of all the drafting and tweaking that happens between initial suggestion and final implementation.

I look forward to more meetings like this!

Dice

Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:56 am

Let me just second Inertia's comment here. I really, really enjoyed getting a chance to get in on the ground floor, so to speak, and voice my thoughts and ideas before things were decided. As somebody who's passionate about system design, it feels like we have much more input this way than if the decisions have already been made and we're mostly commenting on them, even if our suggestions don't end up in the final product. I'd love to see this become more of a trend in the future whenever possible!

• Information