Support slots

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Onyxsoulle

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:23 pm

Alright, I've talked to a player about this idea already. They said that their initial instinct was to say no, but depending on how support shifts they may change their mind. So I thought I'd make a post to see if this is doable or not.

I would like to see if it's possible to use QP to unlock more Support slots. Currently the max is 4, which I find a bit limiting. What I'm suggesting is to be able to use QP to buy more slots. I don't mean like 5 qp and you get a slot, I was thinking more of 50-100(or greater) to buy 1 slot. The reason for the high cost is because the slot does have significant benefits in game.

What was brought up to me was that there are several ways to gain QP and that might unbalance this. That is true, but I think most of the ways you can get alot of QP easily are ways that 'put you out there' which in turn means you may have more influence. Examples: Writing books and recommends, both of these can give you quite a bit of QP, but they also promote you as a character, so it makes sense you may gain more support slots.

Dice

Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:36 pm

I was the unsure player (though I more meant if other people liked it, who was I to say no!) My main concern is that, as much as I would LOVE a way to get more support slots, I do feel like QP generation is largely OOC. Most people's books are not written as their PC, and recommendations often come from behavior that might DECREASE your pull!

That said, linking support to influence levels if that goes in could be interesting. The more people back you, the more resources you have to spread... it provides another impetus to gain support, right?

Cellan

Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:35 am

My initial inclination is to say 'no' to this idea, primarily because support is not meant to be something that is given easily or lightly; it is meant to represent a real, substantial bond between two people or groups. I think this would lead to devaluing the system as a whole, especially if you were able to give out more support with some output of QP.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:13 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about this idea, but it probably won't go in soon. Changing how support is calculated is icky (the calcs to get it in were tough!) and adding slots needs some serious mathematical consideration also.

The immediate concern is to change influence from a point accumulation deal to a level deal based on position in society, support values, etc. I'm mentally turning that around in my head now.

Onyxsoulle

Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:08 am

Well in talking with Dice in game, I actually came up with an adjustment to this. Instead of a permanent slot paid for with QP, it would instead be a slot you get for 1 - 2 weeks and pay for with IP. This keeps it more or less IC, and offers another use for IP.

• Information