Tithing

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Onyxsoulle

Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:39 am

I honestly don't know why this hasn't been thought of before, but this occurred to me today.

(I do know i'm not using the word properly but it sets it apart from the similar Reeve command)

Tithe: Works just like Levy for the Reeves, except it's an Order command(priest only, sorry Knights).

Inertia

Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:58 pm

There have been tithes in the past or at least on different versions of the game. The fact that there aren't on this one, I believe, is intentional.

From help tithes, last modified in 2011:
The Order receives 30% of the silver spent on all fines, taxes, locker
purchases, retools, messengers, couriers, mail purchases, and rumors to
represent the financial support gained from the Law of Giving. In this
manner, players are not expected to directly tithe to the church in order
to ICly be doing so on a regular basis.
Edit: And on a second read-through, seeing that you're talking about a command the Order can use to levy fines, I know in the past that levy (and warrant) were meant to be Reeve-only to encourage cross-guild interaction/dependence.

Onyxsoulle

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:03 pm

Tithing would actually be something different from Fining. Fines are levied against characters for breaking the law and having to pay for damages or whatever.

Tithing would be penance for stuff like Confessions. There is a whole slew of helpfiles that mention how tithing is done by different races(especially the Vavardian helpfiles).

If it's to keep commands even, the Reeves already have commands that mimic those in the Order in some way(pyring to draw-and-quarter, stuff like that). In fact the Reeves have more commands than the Order, come to think of it.

I think adding this command in would help boost priest RP for Orderites, but that's just me.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:03 am

I think you can ask for a tithe in RP, but I don't see it as a code-enforcable levy that needs to be paid by law. I can see RP consequences to not paying one's tithes, however, if requested to by the Order.

Leech

Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:47 pm

I just kind of assume my tithes are something that's paid in the background, out of my wages... so, on that note, I never ever have any RP where I'm actively giving money away. One, it'd be too tiring for Orderites to go around collecting tithes from everyone, and two, it'd be a 'job' that I'd have to log in to do.
Player of: Alexander ab Courtland

• Information