Messages for Combat Pooling

Ideas we've discussed and decided not to implement.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Dice

Sun May 17, 2015 3:44 pm

So I don't know if everybody knows this, but you can't pool any combat skill all the way to More than you can grasp via practice - only via teaching. The cap falls, for most people, somewhere around 'Almost none'.

The problem is...

You don't get a message when you've actually 'filled' your pool for combat, and further attacks/defenses aren't giving you anything. This means you could waste conceivably a lot of time slugging away at a trainer, or in a very long spar, with zero gains to show for it.

Is it possible we could get a message tacked on when we type pool so we know when to stop?

So instead of just:

----------------------------------------------
Abilities Learning Amount Learned
Parry Almost none
Block Almost none
Mace Almost none
Axe Inconsequential

You'd get:

Abilities Learning Amount Learned
Parry Almost none (MAX)
Block Almost none
Mace Almost none (MAX)
Axe Inconsequential

Inertia

Sun May 17, 2015 4:49 pm

Yes, please, let people know when they've hit a limit so they don't waste their time on no gain.

I don't want to derail the thread by asking why there's a cap on learn by use, but I don't understand that at all. Knowing when you're maxed out under this current setup, though, seems both logical and fair to me, and in line with how other skills on the game work.

Tremere

Mon May 18, 2015 2:24 am

With this I think it's because you can learn how to fight very very well very quickly and for free if you had no max (assuming you found others to spar with) this allows for a longer time before someone maxes out their skill

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Wed May 20, 2015 4:28 pm

To my knowledge, the caps on pooling are stat related, not differentiated by LBU or taught-learning.

If this is not the case, please come talk to me, Dice?

Tremere

Sun May 24, 2015 5:12 pm

I would like to second the getting the messages when we have maxed out our pooling.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:01 am

No skills post messages unless the game attempts to bump you up and you have no XP.

This thread did uncover a bug that I believe has been rectified where the max cap was substantially lower for combat than a character's actual max cap. Can I confirm this is resolved now?

Dice

Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:15 am

Combat now pools like everything else - confirmed resolved.

• Information